cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

last version of: "Sybase replication server performance and tuning "

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am looking for the last version of the Sybase whitepaper "Sybase replication server performance and tuning"

I am the version v2.0.1 from January 2007.

Can somebody post it or better show where to find it ?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182259
Contributor
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, there is no later version.   Instead a class was put together and taught at ISUG Tech conferences in past years.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This document is very useful and I used it year over year, it should be maintained by SAP.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'd like to support Massimo's request and ask SAP to continue to maintain and develop the whitepaper. I have used various versions of the document since 2004 and I'm quite sure that the product documentation or even a course, as good as it can be, cannot replace the white paper. The white paper with its original format and style helped me a lot also on areas not related to RS. Alternatively, it would be very nice to see the white paper as full-fledged book. I hope that SAP's decision makers will see this post.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jeff

I have seen your ppt with 380 slides "SAP Sybase Replication Server Internals and

Performance Tuning" which provide excellent insight about P&T for replication server.

-Manoj

former_member182259
Contributor
0 Kudos

The full course is now multiple modules and beyond 380 slides.....

But in answer to all.

As the original author of that paper - albeit with a lot of help from RS engineering - I am glad that others found it useful.   However, at the time it was first drafted and then rewritten - it was done on my OWN time (e.g. the first version was written on my SY sabbatical).   There was some SY time spent on it as well - but back then under SY and in the position I was in, white paper publication was considered part of the job description and the role I had included SRS product.

Currently, my role no longer includes SRS - due to the change in role, it meant focusing mostly on ASE and in the future HANA, I had to leave SRS behind.   Unfortunately, I no longer have the time to maintain it myself due to job demands already are way beyond the 8 hour day.   I wish I did.   I also wish I had the time to maintain/update the companion ASE paper (Managing workloads....) - but alas, I don't.    Ideally, both would be part of the doc set, but tech pubs didn't agree with that observation as there already is P&T documentation for both products.

The only thing I can suggest is to make sure that your sales team conveys to SAP's sales management at the upper levels the criticality of SRS (and ASE) in your environments.  Resource assignment/alignment is largely driven by the upper SAP management based on their perceptions of the market demands - and that doesn't come from SCN posts.   Their viewpoint currently is that analytics should be the focus - and when one really looks at the mass adoption of Hadoop and NoSQL - which are purely analytics in application - one cannot question their decision.   However, with enough direct customer feedback perhaps they will see the need to refocus a larger portion of resources to SY technologies vs. current staffing.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jeff,

Bravo! Finally. This is exactly the problem. I could not have worded it better.

Other than goingh through the SAP channels, which I am afraid have proved useless to me here in LATAM and the USA, I feel the only alternatives are the user groups. I am not sure ASUG has a grip on the technologies, or the interest, so that leaves ISUG-TECH.

I encourage all that are on this thread to join ISUG-TECH and to post enhancement or change requests so that the issue can be lobbied directly with SAP by high ranking, and highly technical ISUG-TECH executives.

Regards,

Jean-Pierre

QUOTE:

¨The only thing I can suggest is to make sure that your sales team conveys to SAP's sales management at the upper levels the criticality of SRS (and ASE) in your environments.  Resource assignment/alignment is largely driven by the upper SAP management based on their perceptions of the market demands - and that doesn't come from SCN posts.   Their viewpoint currently is that analytics should be the focus - and when one really looks at the mass adoption of Hadoop and NoSQL - which are purely analytics in application - one cannot question their decision.   However, with enough direct customer feedback perhaps they will see the need to refocus a larger portion of resources to SY technologies vs. current staffing.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member89972
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Replication WIKI is where I expected it to be. But I did not find it there

I will search in ISUG archives tomorrow.

I may have to search my offline folders to find a copy.

Avinash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Avinash,

I can also suggest a third party with a great deal of experience who teaches a course similar to what ISUG-TECH offers, if you cannot wait for our next yearly conference. Personally, I think you would find that much more useful than a white paper.

As a matter of fact, many people want that course back, but due to low demand, SAP refuses to revamp it or even list it on its course list here in Mexico, to see if anyone bites once in a while...

Write me to dareys@yahoo.com and I will be glad to share the information with you, as I am not sure this is the forum to promote non SAP or SAP partner consulting or training services...

However, doing that would not be necessary if SAP had done a better job of assimiliating Sybase people, products, ressources and documentation, like Sybase did when it bought Powerbuilder from PowerSoft or SQL Anywhere from Watcom.

As it is, I feel things are getting better, but it is slow going, and I am doing everything I can to raise the issue. I am sure Jeff is painfully aware of it, but, he is a SAP employee and I am not, although I was a Sybase employee for ten years, and and still Director of ISUG-TECH in LATAM.

Regards,

Jean-Pierre

P.S. You can also write me on dareys@isug.com