cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic record creation in SAP BW-IP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

I have a business scenario for which I need to create a planning report based on user selection of fields.

Assume that my planning query has three fields viz., Product, Period, Revenue.

User should be given with a blank layout with the drop down button for Product and Period.

User can select any Product / Period combination for which he wants to plan upon.

I cannot dynamically load the entire Product data with all the available periods.

Is there a way in which only the user selected Product/ Period alone is generated in the real time cube?

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions,

Harish

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

cornelia_lezoch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

I think you will have problems with the request to have the user selection by drop down.

ou should rather have the user do the selection in variables and use these as filters in your query.

Otherwise you will have problems with the locking and the number of combinations to be created.

regards

Cornelia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Cornelia,

Yes, my biggest concern was to create the number of combinations in the real-time cube.

I also couldn't use the variable based selection, as I need to have the base data present in the real-time cube in the first place.

I'm thinking about the feasibility of capturing the user selection in the WAD and pass the values as parameters to my custom planning function that creates the needed combination of record in my real-time cube.

Just a thought

Br, Harish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Harish,

You can also use Generate Combination function in back end and have user plan based on variable selection ,just an option for your scenario.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Indu,

Yes, I can do that. But my problem is with huge master data and time periods. It's not the correct way to generate combination for all characteristic combinations.

Br, Harish

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

ShashiGarimella
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I'm not sure if you already figured out the solution . Here is what you need to do

In Query designer, go to Product, Period and Revenue and select the option 'Master Data' or Characteristic Relationship in the 'Posted Values' setting.

Once you do that, go to filter and set variables on each of the above Characteristics.

This way the variables will pop up in the screen when you run the report.The values will be generated only for the selections made in the variables.

Regards,

Shashi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

Are you using BPC10.1 for planning? It looks to be an easy option through EPM tab rather than a planning query. However You can create an input query with variables rather than drop down selection option from excel or you can also link your drop down options to input query variables so it can enable those rows for planning.

Thanks

Indu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Indu,

Thanks for your reply.

However we are using BW Integrated Planning for our scenario and BPC is not in the picture.

Br, Harish