cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to analysis Scope and Effort analyzer report for ERP upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am using SAP Solution Manager 7.1 SP13.

We are planning to do upgrade the ECC landscape from EHP6 SP04 to EHP7 SP12 .

Already the UPL is activated in the production system.

So i have generated the xml and generated the SAP Module oriented Blueprint (Process Step Library) with dynamic TBOM through SEA analysis.

SEA job almost ran for a week and generated this SEA report .

But i am not able to find the clear document how to analysis this report .This is new functionalities shipped from SAP Solution Manager 7.1 SP11.

In the SEA analysis , We have summary, Modification/custom development , Test management and Updated SAP Objects.

In Modification/custom development, we have  Impact to Modifications [number of objects] and Custom Developments with Development and Unit Test Efforts details.

But i am not about find clear document about to analysis these details in the report.How to compare these details with ERP landscape and test the effected object.

Also what is the difference between in the report of  Custom Development Management Cockpit(CDMC) - Upgrade / Change Impact Analysis and SEA analysis report.

Any idea, helps or tips to analysis the SEA report.

Rg,

Karthik

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik

There is also a specific section on SAP Support Portal

Scope and Effort Analyzer | SAP Support Portal

Another source, presentation by Tony De Thomasis (a bit outdated date wise but still valid to large extent)

http://www.slideshare.net/tony.dethomasis/preparing-for-sap-ehp-upgrade

CDMC has some overlap (references of SAP code in custom code, impact on custom code) but there is a difference in the fact that CDMC focusses on custom development (only) which is broken due to the update, it checks one or more development packages  regardless of the fact that they are in use or not where SEA checks the impact of an update on what is relevant in terms of business processes / business process steps, including custom development that is part of what is in use on the system (due to UPL stats + TBOM's).

CDMC is more technical if you would ask me (giving you perhaps thousands of lines of results in which you will need to filter) where SEA gives a more high level overview to start with. SEA gives you the efforts based on timings that SAP has recorded in projects that SAP has done in the past (as a start point) ~ you can adjust the efforts needed to adjust a specific object to get a more realistic effort result in case you disagree or your customer is much faster compared to SAP provided standard values for example.

Another difference is that CDMC doesn't have a link to test management where SEA does have that link.

So if you ask me, both can be useful depending on the use-case. If a customer tells me they want to clean up Custom Code, then CDMC Clearing Analysis for example can be of interest to run and SEA is not the right solution. CDMC also needs a system that is already updated in order to be able to determine the impact of EHP/SPS update where SEA doesn't have this requirement, SEA will calculate the target object list on SAP backbone because it provides SAP backbone with the target XML file calculated through maintenance optimizer (soon maintenance planner). So for a pure EHP/SPS update, it would depend on what the customer wants to achieve ~ determine the impact of what is in use or determine the impact on everything that is custom development or both where in case of both it might make sense to perform both.

Best regards

Tom

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos