cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing BW Cube by HANA Views

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am working on an HANA implementation project where we need to create fresh HANA views which should produce same data as reflecting in BW Cube/DSO.

It involves implementing logic of underlying data source + logic involved in BW layers (transformations etc) within HANA views.

What would be the best approach to work on such kind of implementation.

Waiting for your suggestions.

Regards

Jitendra

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

BenedictV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jitendra,

Please add system information, as well.

Do you have ECC tables, replicated into your system or are you going to work on imported BW models in HANA.

My advice would be to scrutinize the requirement more thoroughly. I am saying this because, from a high level the requirement might be to mirror into HANA views what you have in BW models today...but, that will not be the right approach. See what the business needs are out of this whole exercise. There might be logic or pieces of code that you can do away with when you start doing your models in HANA.

Second, divide and conquer. Try to split out a single data flow into multiple models, that way it would be easier to develop, test and maintain.

See what type of views would suit your needs best. I generally lean towards the Calc views instead of AN views, but that decision is based on the end results that I expect, so I would push that idea on you.

Pay attention to joins and cardinalities because HANA does not exactly work like a traditional RDBMS.

Learn to use the Plan VIz. to test your models as you build them. You may learn a lot using it to optimize the design of your model.

Use as less data as you can in your models. Unlike BW, we do not persist data after every transformation, in HANA. Everything happens on the fly. So push down your filter values as deep as possible.

Benedict

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Benedict,

First of all thanks for such a detailed reply.

The requirement is to mirror BW models in HANA views and then BW will be scrapped so no BW models will be used. Will surely go through Plan Viz and consider the approach you have suggested.

Thanks a lot !!!

Regards

Jitendra

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Jatendra,

Few more points to take care are:

1. For complex transformation if staging and core layers are still required implement delta.

2. Delete data from staging once its loaded to core layer.

3. Avoid using calculations on AV and AN views.

Regards,

Anupama

former_member194957
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi jitendra,

If you are using BW on HANA system. You can generate the HANA views without any additional effort from your side. You can just check the option  "External SAP HANA view" in the settings for the corresponding infoprovider.

A HANA analytical view will be created in the following folder (under "Content" -> System-local package) corresponding to the provider which contains the structure and data of the infoprovider. You can use these or create new views using these views as a copy template.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Tharun.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tharun,

It's not BW on HANA.

Regards

Jitendra

former_member194957
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jitendra,

Could please explain your scenario in more detail way. You have a standlone HANA database system and BW classic system ?

Regards

Tharun.