cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There are different versions of ODBC32.dll in use? How do you update SQL Native Client in AAS?

former_member211576
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I recently update SQL Server 2012 to SP3 and I pre-install SQL native client(sqlncli.msi) on all Additional Application Server and reboot AAS while I was installing SP3 on SQL DB Server. I was told that the new SQL native client can perform online and will activate automatically after reboot.

However, I got the error message in DBACockpit and it shows one odbc has newer version than others? What happened?

Isn't odbc32.dll included in the SQL Native Client? How do I fix it? Install the new SQL Server Native Client in the SQL Server 2012 SP3 CU2?

There is one AAS installed by my colleague and I think he might install the newer version SQL Server Native client.

( https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=49999 )

Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 SP3 Native Client

• Microsoft SQL Server Native Client (SQL Server Native Client) is a single dynamic-link library (DLL) containing both the SQL OLE DB provider and SQL ODBC driver. It contains run-time support for applications using native-code APIs (ODBC, OLE DB and ADO) to connect to Microsoft SQL Server 2005, 2008, 2008 R2, and SQL Server 2012. SQL Server Native Client should be used to create new applications or enhance existing applications that need to take advantage of new SQL Server 2012 features. This redistributable installer for SQL Server Native Client installs the client components needed during run time to take advantage of SQL Server 2012 features, and optionally installs the header files needed to develop an application that uses the SQL Server Native Client API.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member211576
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Luis & all,

Just FYI. I have created customer message in MSDN and I got a reply.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8431efa5-518e-4a85-a147-00ddf17d9e6b/how-do-i-upda...

Hello,

odbc32.dll is the base ODBC driver and not directly related to SQL Server or any of it's data provider. The version depends on OS version and it's patch level.

Have the different server different OS versions and/or different patch levels?

luisdarui
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for sharing! In this case, is tccap55 server on a different OS version/patch than all others? I will have a lab to test this, I never really ran into this before.

Thanks,

Luis

former_member211576
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Luis,

Yes, I ask my colleague and he say he run windows update on tccap55 while the others 6 AAS do not. But it takes a long time to run Windows Update and I am still trying to find which hotfixes will update odbc32.dll version in C:\Windows\System32.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

luisdarui
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Dennis,

I never performed an update on a live Application server this way. Anytime I needed to update a client software for SQL Server, I performed during a downtime, to ensure no file would be locked or to be updated after a OS restart.

It might be the case that the file were in use and couldn't be updated. SAP KBA 1588547 address this.

I propose:

1. Check the file c:\windows\odbc32.dll in all application servers, manually. It can be the case that the file was updated but the table did not update. It is usually updated when you restart the SAP system. It can be the case that you need to truncate the table MSSDWDLLS, see more in details SAP Note 1609057. The new entries will require a complete recycle of the system.
  2. In case the inconsistency affects only the host tccap55, even after the above step, I would suggest you to try to apply the client from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=49999 from Microsoft, apply it when SAP system is down in tccap55. After this, perform a complete restart on the OS and check the file version as suggested in the KBA.

Please let me know if this worked for you.

Kind regards,

Luis Darui