Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable partitioning while upgrading Oracle 11.2 to Oracle 12c

shradhasampat
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello

I noticed while upgrading oracle 11.2 to oracle 12c,we are no more provided an option to disable partitioning while upgrading to Oracle 12c using DBUA

1. Is that correct ? Or there is a way to disable the partitioning  while upgrading oracle to 12c using DBUA ?

2. Also as per one of the notes,it says partitioning is necessary for BI systems, so do we need to have partitioning while upgrading oracle to 12c on

ECC6 EHP7

CRM7 EHP3

SOLUTION MANAGER 7.1 SPS14

Thanks

Shradha

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Shradha,

Why you need to do that? I check the SAP oracle upgrade, it does not mention to diable partitioning.

As long as the pre upgrade tasks are done as mentioned in the guide, the prerequisite to upgrade is ok.

Best regards,

James

shradhasampat
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi James

Because I think partitioning requires separate licensing from oracle

It used to give an option to disable the partitioning  while upgrading to older than 12c releases

Thanks

Shradha

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Shradha,

We cannot do the de-partition during upgrade. You may need to perform the de-partition before or after upgrade. You can refer to SAP note 859841.

Best regards,
Ka,es

shradhasampat
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you James !!

I have gone through the note 859841, as per the note they have mentioned steps for Oracle 11g without using OUI

Can i carry out below steps after upgrading to Oracle 12c ,on Oracle 12c ?

****************************************************************************************************************

Please note, as of Oracle 11g it is not possible to remove Partitioning with OUI. To remove it in Oracle 11g, please proceed as follows.

1. Shut down the corresponding Oracle Instance
    2. $ cd $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib
    3. $ make -f ins_rdbms.mk part_off
    4. $ make -f ins_rdbms.mk ioracle

*****************************************************************************************************************

Thanks

Shradha

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Shradha,

You are welcome

You can, but please make sure there is no partitioned objects in the database, otherwise the partitioned objects may become corrupted if the software has not partition component as note 859841 mentioned.

Best regards,

James

shradhasampat
Participant
0 Kudos

You mean there should be no user partitioned object,right ?

Asking because there are always SAP standard partitioned objects in the system

Thanks

Shradha

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Shradha,

Yes, if you want to disable/remove partition, you have to make sure there is no partitioned objects.
However usually SAP BW uses partition often. You have to check if you have partitioned objects in your database.

Best regards,
James

shradhasampat
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you James !!

Answers (0)