cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Lumira with HANA Online

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I've got a question about data refresh when using HANA analytical views directly with SAP Lumira. At what point would I expect to see a reflection of data changes that have occurred in the view, in a Lumira dashboard? Do I still need to do a refresh in Lumira to get the latest data?

If I have, say, a view with a few products as an attribute and sales as a measure and then use a numeric point in Lumira to give me the sum total of all sales for all products, I get £X. If I change the sales for one of the products, that changes my sum total. Would I still need to refresh the Lumira document to see that change?

Thanks!

Regards,

Antonio

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ashutosh_rastogi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Are you connected in offline mode or online mode?

Offline mode - Your changes in source would be reflected in the lumira document only after you refresh the lumira document.

Online mode - All queries work on source and you should have them reflected in the document.

Note that the changes in data model may require you to edit the document and re-map the model to the source.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

For the other problem : if you don't see the refresh button on BI Platform, it should be a security issue.

Check if you have the proper rights on BI Platform (or test it with Administrator user )

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the responses both!

I've just done a test and included the results because it doesn't seem to be working properly.

So, here's a screenshot of the view in HANA studio - simple table with 12 months and sales data. This is the starting point.

I then created a Lumira storyboard off that and I added a chart and a cross tab in two separate pages of a storyboard with an input control for Month in each. For the purpose of completeness, here are 2 screenshots of each of those pages.

So far so good. I then went on to change the record for January in HANA Studio and changed the Sales from 500 to 1,000, like so:

Now, if I create a different visualisation in Lumira, I still see the 500 which is what you guys suggest it should be doing so it must be using cache instead of going back to the HANA db when building the visualisation, is that correct?

I then proceed to make a change in the input control and I select the month of January on the page with the crosstab and it seems to work now, it's showing 1,000.

However, as soon as I take off that filter and leave it on Select All, it goes back to showing 500, which is the part that I don't get.

If I make a filter selection on January again, it shows the correct figure. Even if I select the twelve months manually in the input control, it shows the correct figure, but as soon as I remove the filter, it shows the old figure.

Is this behaviour expected?

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Antonio

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't think it's the expected behaviour...

After changing the records in HANA, did you create a new Lumira document or did you edit the exiting one ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guillaume,

I haven't created a new document, no. It's the same document and I haven't closed it since I created it in the first place. This was in Lumira Desktop as opposed to on BIP but I don't think that makes a difference, does it?

Regards,

Antonio

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is a kind of "cache" in storyboards. Lumira does not send a query the HANA database if the query is the same.

In your storyboard, I think you have a cache with the result without filter :

• When you add a filter, Lumira send a query to the database and you get the rigth result
  • When you remove the filter, Lumira retrvie the old values stored in the cache

The only way to force Lumira to refresh the data is the parameter "Refresh on open". Did you set this parameter to "On" ? By setting this parameter to On, you will disable the "cache" feature.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Antonio,

when you create a storyboard with HANA Online datasource, don't forget to check if the parameter "Refresh page on open" is activated.

By default, the parameter is Off. That mean the storyboard is not refreshed when you open it. The data are refreshed only when you navigate in the storyboard (with filters, controls...).

Does it solve your problem ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I can't seem to get this to work. I have a simple table in HANA with MonthName and SalesAmount and I've created an Analytic View on top of it. I then connect to it in Lumira in Online Mode.

Initially, I had only three months of data. Then I added the other 9 months with some sales in HANA Studio but in Lumira, changes are reflected only after I refresh the document. If I have a column chart, for example, with Months and Sales, I would expect that if I remove the Months from the dimensions in the chart data selection and add it back in, it should show me all 12 months as it does in HANA Studio. However, it just doesn't do that until I click Refresh.

Moreover, when I publish the document on to the BI Platform, I can't see a Refresh button so the data there never changes.

Edit: I've just noticed that it will update if I do a Sort or a Top N on the visualisation but not if I start a new visualisation and drag the same two objects into a new chart. It appears it's keeping it in some sort of cache still.

Any suggestions?

Thanks and regards,

Antonio

ashutosh_rastogi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Antonio,

HANA online documents are refreshed when they are opened and also when you change the variables (if there are any) for the dataset.

Also, if you switch between pages of a story that should refresh the page with updated data in HANA. Note that there is a property at page level "Show latest data", that should be turned on for the story.

Also, if you are expecting that you are viewing a viz, and data changes in HANA and viz should automatically get adjusted to that data. Then, that's not possible today.

Regards,

Ashutosh