cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does SAP IQ can have 2 instances (DEV,UAT) in a single host?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am new in SAP Sybase IQ and I am not a DBA. Could anyone please tell me on these questions.

1. Can we have a single Windows host that have 2 SAP IQ for DEV and for UAT instances or servers running together? How? Because they should not need much efficiency.

If it MS-SQL, I will have to install it 2 times for the 1st and the 2nd instance in difference instance's name and folder. These instances may have difference setting and able to start, stop them independence.

2. Does it need 2 licenses if we have 2 instances in same host?

Thanks in advance.

Chupong

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182258
Participant
0 Kudos

It is possible to run two IQ servers on the same host.  You should be able to create two different directories with your IQ database files, and start up an IQ server against each database.  (You only need to install IQ binaries once.)  You can specify individual server and database options for the two instances.  You can also run IQ virtualized, and run 2 VMs on the physical machine.

IQ licenses are keyed to the machine.  The number of IQ instances does not matter. You will need enough core licenses to match the number of cores on the machine.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

hans-juergen_schwindke
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can create and run 2 (or more) IQ instances with the same binaries. So you run the installer once and create 2 instances (create database command). Upgrading IQ to a higher version affects the binaries; so an IQ upgrade will bring both IQ instances to the new version. (Of course you can do some rework and install the higher version in parallel. Then you will be able to upgrade one IQ instance only.)

Or you can start with a different approach and install IQ software twice.

Best regards,

Juergen