cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change rman backup retention

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I am using rman backup with Oracle 11.2.0.3. I am trying to reduce the backup retention from 40 day to 22. I changed parameter "control_file_record_keep_time" both in DB and DB17. I also set expire_period to the same value in initSID.sap. When I run the backup, I get the following error:

BR0187E Value 22 of parameter/option 'control_file_record_keep_time' smaller than 30.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

raviraj_sap
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nader

Check the following :

Thanks

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

I checked it over again and still no go. I do not see any details in BRTools documentation about that either.

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Nader,

As per SAP note 1888485 , more than 30 for control_file_record_keep_time is recommended value.
So brtools follow this rule. it is not recommended to set 22.control_file_record_keep_time

However if you really want to set it, you can adjust the check condition in:

dbacockpit-> alerts -> check conditions, search for control_file_record_keep_time

best regards,
James

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks James

As I mentioned, I adjusted the value in DB17, but the backup still fails when I use brtools.

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

please check if table DBCHECKORA is also updated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, parameter is changed in DB17, table DBCHECKORA update, but I am still getting the same error.

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Maybe this is hard coded in brbackup?

Can you please run brconnect check and see if the same warning occurs? If brconnect does not complain this, then probably this is hard coded in brbackup.

Best regards,
James

Former Member
0 Kudos

I can run backup, if I increase the parameter value to 30 or higher. I am just trying to reduce it to 14 days now, but it is giving an error.

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Nader,

As mentioned, you can check if brconnect check does still complain the error. The brbackup maybe hard coded.

Best regards,
James