Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

startserver - no command prompt returned

mike_quinn
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi

I can start my Sybase ASE16.0 SP02 PL03 server on SUSE 11 SP3 no problem with 'startserver -f $SYBASE/$SYABSE_ASE/install/RUN_EXBAX745'

All starts fine except that I don't get the command prompt back.  I just get the output of the start-up script but it just hangs at the line 'Console logging is disabled.  This is controlled via the 'enable console logging' configuration parameter'.

Even if I run as a background process using '&' as part of the command line.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188958
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is it really hanging, or do you think it is hanging because you don't see a prompt?

startserver causes the RUN_SERVER script to run in the background and then exits,
so what usually happens is that you execute startserver and it then returns the prompt, 
and the dataserver
process then quickly starts writing it's output to your screen and the
prompt rapidly disappears off
the top of your screen.

If you hit return, you should get another prompt. 

Cheers,

-bret

mike_quinn
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dohhhh ... works ... I could have sworn I tried that!

I has settled on using redirection ... startserver -f $SYBASE/$SYBASE_ASE/RUN_EBAX745 > /dev/null 2>&1

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mike,

Good to see that you have found a way to get this to work.

However, what is the purpose?

To run the command interactively?

Because most of the time, the startserver command is part of a startup script when you boot the machine.

Otherwise, most DBAs know that all you have to do is to hit return to get the prompt back.

I realize you did not, so I figured I would mention this, or, inquire as to wether or not I am missing something.

Regards,

Jean-PIerre

mike_quinn
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Jean-Pierre

yeah ... hitting the return key does the job ... I was solving a problem that doesn't exist.

Cheers

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

LOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!

Mike,

Your answer made my day! You have no idea how many times in my life I have struggled silently with issues EXACTLY like this one! LOL!

So, this it is really good this type of forum exists so that you can get help, clarification and not re-invent the wheel, or get stuck endlessly on this type of issue.

Glad you fixed the issue.

Regards,

Jean-PIerre

Answers (0)