Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Solman monitoring a database during an upgrade

former_member204618
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm about to upgrade an Oracle 10g database to 12c but there is a note in the Upgrade Guide for UNIX that says :-

Make sure that processes that log on to the database, such as CRON jobs, are not active during the upgrade.

Make sure that you reschedule these processes when the upgrade has finished.

So my first thought was Solman.

So my question is, how do I prevent or rather pause Solman from attempting to connect to this database whilst I perform the upgrade?

Is it simply to schedule a Planned Downtime phase via Work Mode Management is that sufficient?

Reason I ask this is because 3 of my sap systems running Oracle have a scheduled Planned Downtime every night for an offline backup and yet I see errors in the system log for Solman that it still tries to connect to them several times during the planned downtime!

I need to prevent this from happening.

Thanks

Craig

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

If I am understanding correctly you could probably do this in a few ways. Some easier than others. Work modes for that system/systems getting the DB upgrade, and set the mode for when they will be down. It sounds like you are getting errors at night that you don't want, which these work modes can be used for that as well. SolMan would stop aggregating alerts for those systems. Lastly I would say to just shut down the SMD agent on the managed system while the upgrade occurs - though I am not sure if other experts would advise this as there may be easier ways.

Zach

former_member204618
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Zach,

Apologies I don't think I explained my problem too well.

In Work Mode Management I have scheduled Planned Downtime for 3 systems between hours 01:00 and 06:00 with the options CCMS Based Monitoring ticked and Monitoring Status set to Monitoring Pause.  But I am still getting error logs in the system log on solman trying to connect to these databases during the downtime.

Hold on I think I realised what has gone wrong.  When I set these schedules up there was an option to apply these settings to the underlying database and I think I ignored it.

I've just recreated the schedule and spotted the notice this time, it was at the top of the page but out of sight as the scroll bar was at the bottom.  It says "Schedule workmode on Database" so I have clicked this now and set that up.  However it copied the date period and description but not the time period strange!

Ah well I'll see tomorrow if this has helped.

Thanks

Craig

former_member204618
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

OK so adding the workmode on the database hasn't prevented the system logs showing SOLMAN still trying to connect to the database during the downtime phase!

What now?

Thanks

Craig

former_member204080
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

In CCMS Montiroing settings tab , have you tried by selecting the Monitoring status as suppress alerts

Can you also check during the Planned downtime period if there were any extractors for that system still running

Are the logs in SM21 of solman showing with user SM_EFWK

Regards,

Murali

former_member204618
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

Yes the logs show user as being SM_EFWK in log dev_rd but also as an admin user and as SAPSYS.

Programs causing it seem to be SAPMSSY8, RSAL_BATCH_TOOL_DISPATCHING and RSORACOL.  I've managed to prevent RSORACOL from causing this temporarily by setting the inactive flag in table ORA_MON_DBCON but then I don't get updated information in DBACockpit!

I've set monitoring status as Monitoring Pause.

Thanks

Craig