cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to trigger one alert per one failed message in PI 7.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I have configured alerts in PI 7.1 dual stack.when a message is failed , ideally i should receive a single alert for one failed message. But am getting multiple alerts for same message ID.

Please help me to get out of this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Neelima.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Its standard behavior. PI automatically retries every failed message and for each retry and failure an alert will get triggered.

You have 2 options,

• Continue with this where you get duplicate alerts.
  • Disable auto restarts so once you get an alert, you act on it and restart by self if needed. - Would suggest this only if there is a proactive monitoring / support team available.

Regards,

Bhavesh

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Harish
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Neelima,

Did the alert rule is configure with the option "Suppress Multiple Alerts of This Rule"? If it is not then please configure this, then you will not receive the multiple alerts.

regards,

Harish

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Harish,

Glad to touch base here as well. Suprress Multiple Alerts of this Rule will work only if the Rule is Interface Specific and not generic. If the rule is generic, then multiple messages failing will trigger only 1 alert.

As far as I have seen typically Alert Rules are generic but yes it is an option to consider

Regards,

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

I have checked the "Suppress Multiple Alerts of This Rule"  when i checked this option i should receive atleast one alert but am not receiving any alert.

Please tell me why this is happening?

Regards,

Neelima.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavesh,

Its not interface specific. Alert Rule is for all interfaces.

Regards,

Neelima.

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In that case Suppress Multiple Alerts for this rule will not work as even if one Interface fails and until the Alert is not confirmed no more alerts will be received.

You will have to use the options I have described in my previous response.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavesh,

Thanks for quick response.

If i have created alert rule for particular interface, will this "suppress Mulitple Alerts of this Rule" will it work?

Please confirm me on this.

Till now i have not tried this option. If yes i will create alert rule for interface specific and will check.

Regards,

Neelima.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

First i have enabled the option Suppress Multiple alerts of this Rule" Option first i have received only one alert mail per single message failure.

But later messages are failed with different message id's but i didnt receive any alert.

Regards,

Neelima.

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The concept of Suppress Multiple Alerts for this rule is as below:

• For the specific rule, Alert will be triggered once.
  • All subsequent alerts will be suppressed till the Alert is manually confirmed by the Alert Recipient from the Alert Inbox.
  • So what does this mean,
    • If 2 messages for the same Interface fails in say a interval of 5 minutes.
      • Only one alert will be triggered for the 1st message Failure.
      • The subsequent Unique message failing will now not trigger an alert.
      • Any new message for same interface failing will also not trigger an alert until and unless the Alert is confirmed in the Alert Inbox or the Alert Expires ( the expiry threshold for the same is set in ALRTCATDEF ).

So if you are Ok for just one alert for even multiple messages for the same interface failing this approach will be Ok. But if you need one alert per message id, then this approach will not work.

Regards

Bhavesh

Harish
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Adding to Bhavesh's reply, please check the below SAP note

1927658 - Duplicate alerts even "Suppress Multiple Alerts of This Rule" function is active

Please check the parameter alerting.suppressInterval is set or not.

regards,

Harish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

Unable to open the link which you have provided. It is asking for Authentication.

Regards,

Neelima.

Harish
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You need Market place access to check the SAP note. try the below link

Note 1927658:Duplicate alerts even "Suppress Multiple Alerts of This Rule" function is ac...