Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weighbridge integration

0 Kudos

Hi ,

I have a requirement to capture Weighbridge data into SAP .I was not provided any further info on this by client .

My question here is ..

How to  get weighbridge data into system .

How can we read the data into SAP.

Any one worked on Weighbridge integration please let me know how you deal this scenario  .

Regards

Vamsee Krishna P

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

saurabh_chikate
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi vamsee,

for your requirement you need that equipment connected to your system via USB or Serial port.

what you need to do is just put your pointer to the location where you wish to enter that data and use your equipment.

by this way equipment will act as keyboard and will enter output in input box.

Same thing is applicable with barcode scanner, I hope this will also applicable to weighbridge.

It is matter of input devices, you don't need to handle it via ABAP side.

Regards,

Saurabh

11 REPLIES 11

saurabh_chikate
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi vamsee,

for your requirement you need that equipment connected to your system via USB or Serial port.

what you need to do is just put your pointer to the location where you wish to enter that data and use your equipment.

by this way equipment will act as keyboard and will enter output in input box.

Same thing is applicable with barcode scanner, I hope this will also applicable to weighbridge.

It is matter of input devices, you don't need to handle it via ABAP side.

Regards,

Saurabh

0 Kudos

But need to save this data in SAP ,for this we need a ABAP development .Hoe can equipment data is entered into SAP with out any programming

0 Kudos

ofcourse you will need abap screen program.

refer this link.

but you will not need to use any integration for that data to appear on screen input field.

when data appears in screen input field , you can save it in table , via query.

Regards,

saurabh

0 Kudos

Thanks Saurabh

But the scenarion is not like scanning and update in sap through screen.

The scenario is like when ever vehicle came on to the weighbridge , the data should be populated to SAP.  may be the software used in weighbrige was creating some file file Say VB file . and we need to convert that  into SAP when ever the VB file created in system.

0 Kudos

The weighbridge places a datafile somewhere. You need to readthis file with open dataset statement and then upload in the tables (I guess they need to be custom tables ?)

Where is your problem exactly ?

It will be hard to give you a solution anyway since you state:

"I was not provided any further info on this by client .

I would first go after all the specifications because now it can be done in an infinite amount of ways with no specs 😞

0 Kudos

Thanks Peter .

Going by the approach  "The weighbridge places a datafile somewhere." ( I hope irespctive of  type of weighbridge file gets created  )

1  . Do we need to upload the files into SAP in regular interval by Background programme  ?

2 .  Is there any way to upload upload data immediately after creating the file in system by weighbridge .

if you have worked same requirement any time before ,  let me know the approach you followed .

Thanks

Vamsee

0 Kudos

I had this scenario before, but we used SAP PI. In PI the file was translated to a custom Idoc (with just the minimum amount of necessary fields) and then uploaded in SAP through a custom function module to handle the custom IDoc. By using an IDoc you can always reprocess when an error occurred and you can monitor it.

In that way we could have PI poll on the directory with a predefined interval.

If you are not using PI ( or another middleware tool) then I think you need to schedule a job in which a custom program reads the directory where the files will be placed. Then process the file(s) and subsequently delete (or even better archive) the files when they have been succesfully processed.

To read all files in a directory you can use Function Module RZL_READ_DIR_LOCAL

Then loop around the filenames returned by this function module and use open dataset to read them into internal tables for further processing.

One limitation with this function module is that the filenames can be maximum 32 characters long. So now I am looking more into this the Function Module SUBST_GET_FILE_LIST would be a better choice to read the directory. This function module can return filenames of a maximum lenght of 75 characters.

( while fm EPS_GET_DIRECTORY_LISTING, another function module to read files in a given directory can return filenames with max length of 40 characters).

0 Kudos

Thanks Peter ,

In case of PI also do we need a schedule programme or data posted immediately after file creation ?

let me know the steps to follow while using as am not used PI before 

0 Kudos

let me know the steps to follow while using PI method as am not used PI before .

0 Kudos

In PI you can define a polling interval ( every second, every 10 secs, minute, hour etcetera) in the file adapter.

If your organization doesn't have PI implemented I think you need to write your own program to read the directory.

starting a program Immediately after the file has been created, I don't know if this is possible or how to do this. But you can schedule your job periodically (e.g.  every 5 minutes). It all depends how much maximum time your client allows for the files to be processed.

0 Kudos

Thankyou Peter

Will come back to you if need any more info.