cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to calculate DB saving upon implementation of Housekeeping job or an archiving object?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

Seeking your help here.

Let me know how you guys calculate DB saving after implementing a housekeeping job or after implementing any archiving object.

This is what I thought of, need your inputs on this or if you have a simpler approach.

Scenario 1. Housekeeping job

-Find out the relevant tables for deletion

- Use T-code DB02  to find the no. of entries and size for each table

- Calculate the average / day growth of entries and size of each table

- Start the job and once it is complete, check the left over entries again and the size in each table.

If the job takes 2 days to completion then subtract the no. of expected entries for 2 days  from the leftover entries and accordingly the size in each table. Now subtract the outcome from the pre execution size from each table and the result will be the expected  total DB saving.

Scenario 2. Archiving

--Perform TAANA for all the tables for deletion. and take DB02 entries and size for all the tables for deletion.

--XXX

Need your help in both the scenarios. May be this question sounds a bit silly but I am really struggling to show the total DB saving.

Or if you have developed an excel tool which can help in this.

Thank You

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member222508
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Deepak,

Scenario 1:

For house keeping jobs, you need to do the table re org so that you can get the exact figure. DB02 doesn't give excat value all the time.

Scenario  2:

You can find the savings from SARA screen. click the statistics from the respective object, you can find teh deleted space.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks,

Bala.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bala

Thank You for replying. I will check the reorg option for scenario 1 if this gives the exact figure.

For archiving I have already checked the deleted DB space option but not sure if it is actually correct. Recently we archived for IDOCS and deleted DB space was around 1.5TB and which was not even the size of all the IDOC tables all together. So I am not sure if this DB statistics exactly shows the freed up DB space after archiving.

Regards

Answers (0)