cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User able to mark his answer as helpful.

JayantSaini
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

While using SCN I found out that if I ask a question and myself write answer to that question than I am able to mark my answer as helpful.

Due to this if someone reads the discussion he will rely on the helpful answer which may or may not be correct as it was self marked as helpful.

So the user should not be able to mark his answer as helpful.

Regards,

Jayant Saini

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

joachimrees1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I disagree.

In my opinion, if today I have a question (and i post it as discussion), and tomorrow I'll find the answer myselfe, the right thing to do it:

1. Post that answer in the Diskussion

2. Mark it as correct (or helpful).

It should not matter who gave the correct/helfull answer (myselfe or someone else).

-> everything is fine.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I haven't seen anyone mark their own post as helpful, but marking it as an answer is not that uncommon. Sometimes you just end up answering the question yourself. As already noted, either way no points are awarded to the OP.

Sometimes I don't understand though based on what the correct answer gets chosen. Quite a few times I've seen either not the best option or not even the relevant one marked as "correct". Although still closing a discussion is better than just leaving it hanging.

There is a good blog on this subject:

JayantSaini
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks to all for your valuable comments .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jayant,

If you think that an answer that was marked as helpful is incorrect or misleading, use the Alert function to let the space moderators know of your concern. As a space moderator, I would appreciate knowing about it and would review the comment for possible editing or removal.  Otherwise, if the original poster managed to discover some helpful information along the way to resolution, I agree with Joachim that it is good for this information to be shared for future reference and marked as helpful.

Gretchen

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Yes, in case they solved it on their own. No points are awarded, however.

JayantSaini
Active Participant
0 Kudos

It's good that they have already stopped giving points but I was not concerned about points.

If the answer is marked helpful other users might get confused. I think that on the first place the user should not be able to mark his answer as helpful.