cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send Notification when Goods Receipt fail

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello SAP MM Community,

We have a standard SAP MM process of creating a PO and then posting Goods Receipt. There is no Inbound Delivery in the process and it will not be introduced in the process either. So Goods Receipt is posted directly on PO. SAP ECC will be connected to SAP GTS system and the latter will perform the Compliance checks and will either block the PO or release it.

If the PO is blocked for Compliance reasons, SAP will not allow Goods Receipt posting. So when the business users will try to post GR via MIGO (101 movement type) system will give an error message. You can take this a similar to the message we get when the MM Posting Period is closed in the beginning of new month.

Our requirement is when system blocks GR posting due to SAP GTS Compliance blocks, generate a notification (e.g. emails) and send to business users for investigation. I'm not sure whether we can generate an email message (or any other) when the business users are manually posting GR via MIGO and system blocks it.

Is it possible to somehow notify a group of business users via the system notification instead of relying on manual notification?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Shobhit.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am moving this discussion into the GTS space as it seems to be more related to GTS processes than MM.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Discussion with the client is evolving on this.

In their current system they use SAP Foreign Trade functionality to administer the licensing for Export Control. Here the system allows them to post the Goods Receipt into Blocked stock (movement type 103). That serves few purposes, most important being material is tracked in the system.

However Foreign Trade functionality is being phased out and will be replaced by SAP GTS. With GTS if there's no license at the PO level system hard blocks GR posting. This is what is highlighted as an issue. While this is a compliant solution but not being able to post GR into Blocked Stock prevents the visibility of goods. To be able to generate email on failed GR is just a workaround solution to inform the Export Control Team to take an action.

I was trying to convince them about introducing Inbound Deliveries into the equation via EDI so that License requirements highlight once again nearer the GR time. However IBDs have been ruled out.

kul_vaibhav
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Shobhit,

This is how GTS is designed. I am bit surprised that license requirements are taken care after Goods receipt. Are you saying that Goods are imported without a valid import license?

regards,

Kul Vaibhav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kul,

Goods are certainly imported under a license. But here the Supplier applies for an export license and lists all the Business Entities in that including the Buyer. Buyer (which in this case is my client) imports under the same License applied by the Supplier. So goods cross the borders under a license. It's simply that client not always creates/activates the license within GTS until the Goods arrive at the Warehouse. Consequence of that is PO is still blocked in GTS and GR fails. If they have a good process to activate the license on time (which is difficult) then there wouldn't be any such issue.

Thanks,

Shobhit.

kul_vaibhav
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Shobhit,

This looks to be more of a process issue than the system issue.

regards,

Kul Vaibhav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you everyone for the sharing your knowledge on this.

I can understand this isn't something we have a readymade solution. I'm going to test the options provided by you with the Development Team and see how that progresses.

Hopefully I'll be able to reach somewhere. But we all know it's sometimes difficult to convince the client as they are used to working in one way and don't like changes.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Have you already analyzed if there is an option in the GTS system to send workflows in such cases.

Don't you have dedicated resources who are monitoring regularly the logs from compliance checks

kul_vaibhav
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Shobhit,

You can achieve this email trigger functionality in GTS using standard configuration. This is provided by standard SAP GTS. The trigger is when a PO is blocked due to GTS. This will inform users well in advance to take appropriate action so that by the time GR is done, a suitable action is already taken.

regards,

Kul Vaibhav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well yes there are dedicated resources who will the check the blocked POs. However there can be significant time period between PO placement and GR posting, sometimes it'll be months before GR happens. Goods just arrive at the door and receiving team try to post GR and will get an error message. In reality Receiving Team can inform Export Control Team who can then look into the license process but this is a broken process and more often than not things are escalated at much higher level rather than a simple process. Hence requirement to generate automated messages.

GTS will send a message when PO is blocked per say i.e. a document should have been created in GTS for it to be blocked and email triggered. However in the case of failed GR posting as no document is created no message can be generated from GTS.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kul,

I'm very much aware that email notification can be triggered at PO level and which we'll turn anyway. But as PO and GR can be months apart, with no Inbound Delivery Process between them the requirement is to be able to generate message at failed GR.

Thanks,

Shobhit,

former_member233510
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1) Build workflow with business object "MKPF" with Send email functionality.

2) Use BAdi MB_MIGO_BADI for restricting the system to trigger email notification only for GR posting block against GTS compliances.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rosh,

Workflow approach although looks promising but it does say Error Log for BAPI GoodsMovementCreate. That means it will only trigger workflow when Goods Receipt was attempted using a BAPI, possibly used in a background program. In our case GRs will be attempted via MIGO. I'm not sure whether MIGO processing uses BAPI.

So this may or may not work. Have you tried this approach sometime in the past or is this something to be tested?

former_member280154
Participant
0 Kudos

Also, you can have the user IDs of the people to be notified  maintained in the PO header text objects and you need to ABAPer's help to send emails to these user IDs every time there is a failed log entry.

This method was tried and tested successfully.

former_member233510
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I've worked on the event "Create" but I never worked on the event "Display error log". I believe, you can copy the event "Display error log" and create a new event with your own logic. Then, assign this new event to the standard Business object MKPF.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well the business scenario is that if the Goods Receipt is normally done by the Receipt Team in the Warehouse. They will simply enter PO number in MIGO and attempt to post GR. If the GR is blocked due to compliance reasons (from GTS), users will get a pop up message that GR can't be posted. This will be similar to Posting Period Error. Then the requirement is somehow to inform Export Control Team so that they can check the GTS system and analyse what needs to be done to release the block.

So yes the answer is different set of business users need to be informed.

I don't know whether there's any way of generating a notification is GR fails especially because system doesn't record this blocked GR attempt anywhere. Hence finding it hard to find how can we notify the Export Control Team.

former_member280154
Participant
0 Kudos

Shobhit,

How are you blocking GR from happening when GTS compliance fails?

Would it be a different set of business users (Ad hoc) to be notified per each GR failure per PO?

At which point are you expecting the output to go?

Thank you,

Sri

BijayKumarBarik
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Upon GR posting- you can have message to be triggered.

But in your case, without posting GR document- in which case message to be triggered and what conditions?

Regards,

Biju K