cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduling report every 2 minutes....would it affect performance?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I need to schedule my report every 2 minutes.

I save my report to a certain location as CSV file.

If the frequency is short like 2 minutes, would that affect performance...?

If you have experiences in this matter, could you please share...?

Thank you...

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

mhmohammed
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi HT,

It depends on a lot of things, some of them are listed below:

1. Number of queries being used to create that report and if there are any merged dimensions in the report.
  2. Time duration it takes to refresh that report
  3. Number of rows and columns of data being pulled in the report (Size of the report) and Size of the CSV file being generated.
  4. Network Speed between the BO Server(s) and the location where CSV file will be saved.
  5. The resources on the server which included (number of Nodes if its a Clustered environment) and what are the resources on each node. (Resources like RAM, No of Processors & their speed, No of WebIntelligenceProcessingServers)
  6. Number of Active Users in the Environment

Let us know answers to as many questions (above) as possible, and hopefully people will respond with their experiences.

Thanks,

Mahboob Mohammed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you guys for your answers.

The thing is I only work at the front-end.

I do not know what is going on in the back-end.

I work for a big company and there are 100 users at least...

<These are only facts I know...>

-My report is only 1 page.

-comes from 4 data providers

-takes 5 seconds to refresh report

Is there a rule-of thumb in general...?

No matter what your environment is, scheduling a report every minute or 2 is a good practice...?

Or there is no such thing as general rule...?

Thanks...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi HT,

here at my company there used to be some reports that ran every 5 minutes dealing with a SQL Server database of some million records.

It affected the overall performance. My guess is , for the information provided , it wouldn´t affect the performance.

Regards,

Rogerio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello HT,

Looking at your scenario I think it's going to be fine.But as data grows you may have to keep a watch.

Regards

Niraj

mhmohammed
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi HT,

Also, if it makes sense, create a .batch file and schedule it using Windows scheduler to delete those .csv files after certain period (e.g. after few days or a week), as this schedule will be generating 720 files everyday, which is a lot of files and you wouldn't want to delete them manually.

Thanks,

Mahboob Mohammed

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your answers...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello HT,

It depends on the amount of data you are fetching and the machine configuration.

I have a similar situation where my report is event based whever a change in data it gets triggered but I am fetching very less data so no issues so far.

Also to add up how many reports are hitting the server for processing at that time.

Regards

Niraj