cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHARM TOC VERSION MANAGEMENT ISSUE

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Experts,

We are using charm in our project for the last 6 months and everything working fine. But now we noticed one conflict as stated below in steps.

1.Developer developing a Function module and  saves it in task under the main transport.Lets say this version is version 1.0

2.Developer releases his task and asks basis to transport it to QAS.

3.Basis creates a TOC for the main transport.(TOC is created but not released.)

At this point of time another developer is editing the same Function module and lets say now the current active version for the FM is 2.0

4.Now basis is releasing the TOC.

5.Basis transport TOC to QAS.

But while checking in QAS version 2.0 has been transported instead of 1.0.the current version in QAS for the FM is 2.0.

How come version 2.0 has been transported even though the developer saved version 1.0 in his task and released only that task.

Is this a defect of Charm that it will take the version of the FM at the time of releasing the TOC.(While TOC released the developer was editing his FM and the version has changed to 2.0)

Kindly reply.

Regards,

Arun Raj.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Miguel_Ariño
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

this is standard function of ChaRM.

Every time you have a new version, the ToC is created again, and only the latest version is imported.

If you want to avoid this issue, you should look into using DGP. Or perhaps not allow the devs to do the transports, for closer control.

Best regards,

Miguel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi miguel, If possible I would like to consult you about a question that I raised concerning the ToC in ChaRM . When ToC is done , it may be due to delay in impact of changes in the QA system? When I refer to that delay , I mean several hours to several days. Thank you very much. regards.- Mario Agustín Micheltorena.-

Miguel_Ariño
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Could you please rephrase your question? I cannot understand the question.

Best regards,

Miguel

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Arun

Sounds like "works as designed" really .

Upon release, the transport takes the currently active version so if the developer created the task for 1.0 but in the meantime build 2.0 and 2.0 is active and the TOC is not yet released, it will take 2.0 upon release since it takes the currently active version.

A transport has in essence a reference to an object and takes the active version upon release. So if you want to have 1.0 transported first, the TOC has to be released before 2.0 is put active so they can test 1.0 in acceptance, if you use CHARM and put the change document back to "in development" because the test was not "ok" in acceptance, you get a new TOC if you then go from "in development" to "to be tested" again while the original transport request is still unreleased.

Best regards

Tom

former_member229755
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

I would recommend checking the following:

1. Note the Time ToC was created

2. Note the time TOC was released.

2. Note the Time Active version of the function module was changed to Version 2.0 in the DEV system.

As per my knowledge, ChaRM creates the ToC and includes all the objects(active version) that are in the Original Transport.  We can also configure ChaRM to release the TOC perhaps.

Regards,

Prasath

0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

As per my understanding, In Normal Change, when we modify any object and save in TR and pass it to test then ToC automatically created and available for import in QAS. But if second time you try to modify same object without releasing original TR, than system creates new tasks under same transport request and again if you pass it to test and new ToC gets created. If you import ToC through task list than newest version get imported through task list.

Hope this clarify your question.

Further please refer below link to understand ToC concept

Regards,

Piyush Jain