cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print issue after gui upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I have completed the upgrade procedure of sap gui 740. After the upgrade, some users face with the problem when print some docs. On the ability to make some printer outputting strange symbols(garbage), and some nothing at all comes out. What could be the problem? From sap gui 730 output correctly prints.

SPAD output device "PDF" and device type PDF1 : PDF ISO Latin-1 4.6D+, is it correctly?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Laszlo_B
Active Contributor

One more thing: SAPSPrint does not need to be installed.

SAPSPrint is a tool for remote server-based printing.

Since you are using frontend printing here, SAPSPrint is out-of-scope.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Laszlo,

Thanks for your answer.

What do you think about if i change Device type from PDF1 to HPLJ4 in output device PDF?

Laszlo_B
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Albert,

if the printer can handle PCL print data (which will be created by HPLJ4), then it should solve the problem.

The only issue I can think of right now (by changing the Device Types) is that some settings, e.g. duplex and/or tray settings, need to be checked / readjusted.

Other than this, if it won't cause problems for the printer (because of PCL print data) and for the end users (because of possible print setting changes), HPLJ4 should be able to help.

Best regards,

Laszlo

Former Member
0 Kudos

I try, hope it help.

But strange, early all users prints pdf form using device type PDF1...somthing changed in SAP GUI740 or SAPPDFPRINT. That is, a list of printers that printed correctly there was more, than after gui upgrade.

Laszlo_B
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Albert,

currently the problem seems to be the incompatibility.

If you have a SAP Support contract, try to open a Customer Incident, so the details could be checked.

Best regards,

Laszlo

Former Member
0 Kudos

I find where is my problem.

Trace sapwin_ex:

Th 00988: (07.04.2016 14:29:32) Looking for file C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP\FrontEnd\SAPgui\sappdfpr.dll

Th 00988: (07.04.2016 14:29:32) Looking for file C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP\FrontEnd\SAPgui\sappdfpr.dll

Th 00988: (07.04.2016 14:29:32) Error: Version 0 of pdfprint.dll is not compatible.

Th 00988: (07.04.2016 14:29:32) SAPPDFPRINT not installed.

But sappdfprint x64 manually installed. Sap gui can`t find sappdfprint x64. According log, sap gui try to find pdfprint x86 in x86 directory Thats why i cant print to PDF device.

How to say sap gui ещ use pdfprint x64?

Laszlo_B
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Albert,

I can't understand your last sentence but I assume the main point is how SAPGUI could recognize SAPPDFPrint.

SAPGUI can not use SAPPDFPrint x64. The reason is that SAPGUI is (currently) only available in x86, so it can not work with PDFPrint x64.

As SAP Note #1444342 - "Device type-independent printing of ADS forms" describes:

At present, only a 32-bit version of SAP GUI is available. Therefore, for front-end printing, you must also install the 32-bit version of SAPPDFPRINT. If a 64-bit version of SAP GUI become available in the future, the information provided in relation to server-based printing will apply.

This means:

• uninstall SAPPDFPrint x64
  • install a SAPPDFPrint x86 version which is compatible with your SAPGUI version (see the previously mentioned Note #2289706)
  • (just to be sure: the restart of your machine could be useful).

Best regards,

Laszlo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Laszlo,

Thanks for your response!

I do all steps according your sequnce it helpls! And all fine prints to device PDF. But output document prints in incorrect orientation (portrait, but need landscape). I solve this issue  using  "1877614 - SAPPDFPRINT does not print in landscape format" and "1955201 - How to set an undocumented parameter via the Frontend or SAPSprint Options Editors." But i have more 2000 users, and i need to correct print options manually?!...

Laszlo_B
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Albert,

the SAPPDFPrint parameter which you have set will be stored in the Windows registry.

So the question in this case is: is there a tool which can automatically roll out this registry change?

From SAP GUI side unfortunately I am not aware of such a tool, therefore if you have a Windows tool which can do this, you could distribute it with that.

(Also: if I am not mistaking, the Windows registry folder HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SAP\SAPlpd\SAPLPD was used for this SAPPDFPrint parameter.)

Best regards,

Laszlo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Laszlo,

Thanks a lot of, your answers help to solve my problem!

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Laszlo_B
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Albert,

the Device Type PDF1 means that a PDF data stream will be directly sent to the printer.

The problem is that only a few printers can "natively" understand the PDF structure.

If, for example, the PDF is opened and printed from Adobe Reader, then Reader converts the PDF structure, so the printer will "understand" the data.

The external SAP tool SAPPDFPrint is responsible to handle such situations, and as you have written, you already have installed the latest Patch Level of SAPPDFPrint.

In this case a possible reason is that your SAPGUI and SAPPDFPrint versions are not compatible.

See SAP KBA #2289706 - "Compatibility of SAPPDFPRINT patches to SAPGUI/SAPSprint" for details which SAPGUI and SAPPDFPrint versions can be used with each other.

Best regards,

Laszlo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Albert,

I am going to assume you are using Access Method F with your printer.  If you want to continue using it then implement version 23 of the SAP Note 2028598.

Please refer to SAP Note 2028598 - SAP GUI 7.40: Front-end printing with access method 'F' no longer works.

Cheers,

Dan Mead

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

I do not use access method F, only G. My question is:

After SAP GUI upgrade to 740 i can`t print on some printers, But from sap gui 730 documents correctly output.

Output device same:

Output Device PDF, Device type PDF1 : PDF ISO Latin-1 4.6D+, Access Method G, Host printer __DEFAULT + PDFPRINT x64 (last pl)

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

For SAPgui printing in small amounts, Access Method G is the recommended Print method.

What Patchlevel are you using with 7.40 gui?
Have you tried patch 7

Best Regards.

Jude

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, i use patch 7 and last patch for pdfprint.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Need i additinal instal SAPSPrint?