Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12c Installation check error

former_member204618
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm preparing for an upgrade of Oracle from 10.2.0.5 to 12.1.0.2 and have run into a little issue.

I've run the following command line

./RUNINSTALLER -oracle_base /oracle/SID -tmp /oracle/SID/temp -check

After encountering this error about /tmp free space

Free Space - This is a prerequisite condition to test whether the minimum required free space is available on the file system.

This is a prerequisite condition to test whether sufficient free space is available in the file system. (more details)

Expected Value

: 5GB

Actual Value

: 644.4023MB

But that didn't work, so I set environment variables $TMP and $TMPDIR as per the documentation from Oracle https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/AXDQI/toc.htm#BABIHAJA and yet it still complains.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks

Craig

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Dear Craig,

Are you referring to SAP oracle upgrade guide? I did not find the exact command you ran in the upgrade guide.

Best regards,
James

former_member204618
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi James,

Yes I am referring to the SAP Oracle upgrade guide, page 18 section 3.6.3 Checking the Software Installation Prerequisites and page 19 section 3.6.4 Installing the New Oracle Database 12c Software. 

It refers to a SAP Note 1915301 - Database Software 12.1.0.2 Installation on Unix with respect to further options.  It also states that if the environment variable for ORACLE_BASE is not set to /oracle/<DBSID> use option -oracle_base /oracle/<DBSID>.

I should probably mention we are running AIX 6.1 TL 9 SP4 (6100-09-04-1441)

Cheers

Craig

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

Okay, can you show me with the error screenshot?

Also you confirmed the free space actually for the OS does fulfill the requirement?

Best regards,
James

former_member204618
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi James,

I configured the $TMP and $TMPDIR environment variables to point to /oracle/<SID>/temp which has 66GB free

But the check still keeps looking at /tmp

Cheers

Craig

former_member962333
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Craig

For release 12.1.0.2 use RUNINSTALLER 12.1.0.2 patch level 054 or higher so i hope you have downloaded the same from snote#1915301 and using it

By default, SAP RUNINSTALLER uses the user's home directory for temp location so no need to explicitly defined as /tmp, you can pass -temp parameter along with sap runinstaller in case if you want to use another location otherwise it will use oracle user directory only.

former_member204618
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ketan,

I am running the latest version

./RUNINSTALLER -version

. RUNINSTALLER 12.1.0.2.0 (059)

. Oracle Release   12.1.0.2.0

. Release date     2015-06-02

. Patch level      059

. Release status   rel

. SAP note         1915301

I am not defining /tmp as my temp directory I defined nothing initially.  Then got the error so used option -tmp which also produced the error so I then defined $TMP & $TMPDIR but again same error.

Cheers

Craig

former_member204618
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

UPDATE

I fixed my issue.

Had to set environment variables $TEMP & $TEMPDIR as well as $TMP & $TMPDIR.

Hope this helps someone else.

Cheers

Craig

former_member962333
Discoverer
0 Kudos

good to hear that your issue resolved!! Thanks Craig for sharing the details!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

./RUNINSTALLER -oracle_base /oracle/SID -tmp /oracle/SID/temp -check

For this command to work, In fact the /oracle/SID should have the free space as I believe the tmp is pointing to /oracle/SID/temp. The RUNINSTALLER will extract a set of files and scripts in a directory when it is started. I have faced this in the past and fixed it by extending the /oracle/SID file system space.