Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost Planning multiple versions

former_member299514
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

In my present scenario we have to plan for multiple versions of the cost plan i.e. the change in the cost plan of a wbs will be multiple times and in the total lifespan on the wbs there may be 40 changes which again depends. Client wants to compare all of these changes in a report. While at the first thought I am sure this is not possible through CO versions because of two reasons:

1. The number of changes are dynamic and will be not fixed in the beginning

2. In standard reports we can only compare two versions at a time not more. (correct if I am wrong)

The best possible solution I can think of using Project Versions. By creating as many project versions. I assume we can compare as many versions in reports like CN41 or CN41N. But when I was trying this in our sandbox for S/4 HANA I cannot find the field for version comparison in the reports which is greyed out. I have created three project versions and I am selecting them in the input screen but ultimately in edit>comparison>project versions is greyed.

First of all is my approach correct? Second why is this greyed out? How to compare? Is something changed for S/4 HANA?

Regards,

Suman Misra

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Shubham1
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

https://help.sap.com/s4hana_op_1511

Hello Suman

Please refer the extract taken from the  Simplification list document of S/4 HANA On premise 1511 edition.

This will answer your question on S/4 HANA.

Better read the entire document by downloading it from the above link.

Regards

Shubham

Paulo_Vitoriano
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

The proper approach designed by SAP for the project life cycle is PS Claims functionality.  Every change is documented with notification process that can be routed through standard workflow approval and this is how you can get all the changes within plan values being documented as changes to your baseline. This can be done with a single planning version.

Basically claims are representing a change documents to you planned cost baseline.

Cannot provide you with any input for SAP 4/HANA...

Regards,

Paulo

former_member299514
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

My client has as many variations as 150 for a single WBS in the whole life cycle. These are not cost forecast  but variation due to change in the scope itself. Like the contract price with the customer are entered manually as Planned Revenue. After 2 months the customer gives additional contract with more work to do. As there is no SD here we will manually planning revenue in CJ42. There may be as many variations like this with the planned revenue and there is no limit normally its very high. Similarly there will be variations for Cost Plan.

I initially thought of CO versions and to create like as many as 200 versions say. But client wants a comparison of each and every plan cost/revenue in one report. here I got stuck up as standard reports only allows comparison of 2 CO versions at a time.

As of now they are deciding to split the cost by breaking into sub WBS. Say the original plan cost was 1000 $ they will plan it on WBS 1.1.1. When there is a major variation say additional 2000$ they will create another WBS at the same level say WBS 1.1.2 with cost plan 2000 $. So the WBS above this level 1.1 now has a total plan of 3000$. During actual Cost Booking they want to split the actual cost into the different wbs of the variations. So it will be upto the project managers to decide to book on 1.1.1 or 1.1.2.

Though I do not know whether this will be a good approach but again I do not know of a better way to handle this. I am not sure whether Claim Management can address this or if we can see all changes or variations in a single page.

Regards,

Suman Misra

Paulo_Vitoriano
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

You will need to show in reporting respective variances.  So, I would rather use at least a different object type, for example Internal orders.

But once again, you have many "out of the box" benefits with Claims:

1. Information system for Notifications

2. Standard Workflow

3. DMS Integration

Consider also that the reason for the variation can affect multiple WBS at the same time, and therefore you will need to group variations according to the reason.

Regards,

Paulo