cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Log File Lost

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am in the middle of the upgrade. Forgot to make the recovery to simple. Log file grew upto 15 gigs. Ran out of space and the upgrade errored out. I was finding a way to get rid of the log file to create more space. Unfortunately, I went through a stupid forum where there was the suggestion to detach the database, delete the log file and attach the database without the logfile. I did the same. I deleted the logfile permanently. Now, I am not able to attach the database. I have an old log file which is 2 months old. When I tried to place that old file in the place of the deleted file and start the database, it says, log file mismatch.

Do you think I can bring the database back up? Have I lost the whole one week's work? Please guide me the right way.

Thank you.

Note: DB - MS SQL 2005 SP1 and OS Windows 2003 64 bit. - Non Unicode.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

clas_hortien
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

this is not a question of bringing the database into a consistent state through whatever is necessary. This is a question of 'how consistent will my database be' when i force a new log file. Through the deletion of the log you have generated logical inconsistencies within your database, that won't go away with a new log. So if you force a new log to create, you will have an inconsistent database forever (to which degree you will never know). For productive use, i'd recommend to set back to a working state and repeat all the steps since then. Sorry, it is a bitter apple, but it is a clean one.

Regards

Clas

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had to rebuild the database. I too felt that rebuilding the log file would not produce a consistent database in future. Though it was really painful, I am atleast happy my daabase is neat and clean.

Thank you.