CU&UC from 4.6C to ECC6 Ehp7.
I am planning a CU&UC operation for a customer of mine.
- The source version is 4.6C NON UNICODE.
- The target version is ECC6 Ehp7 UNICODE
I am used to do this kind of project but from version 4.7, which is based on a 6.20 WAS.
The case of this message is specific to the CU&UC from 4.6C wich is quiet different, even if supported of course.
I can read, in the CU&UC guide for 4.6C to 7.40, that I have to create a copy of my production system and upgrade it at version 6.10 minimum.
This is named the "ABAP Preparation system".
This step seems to be necessary to achieve some Unicode conversion preparation steps (UCCHECK, RADNTLANG and customer codepage).
My questions hereunder :
- Is it really mandatory and isn’t there any other way to proceed ? I mean without a temporary upgraded system.
- What about the SPDD and SPAU steps in this temporary system ?
- Does it mean that my develoment team will have to make the SPDD/SPAU in this temproraty system and do it again in my "real upgrade" to ECC6 ?
- Does it mean that the developer team will have to adapt the obects to be unicode compliant two times ?
- What is the process in the project plan exactly for the other systems ? Quality and production...
Any points about this particular project will be appreciate... It's quiet urgent because the project general conception already started.
Many thanks to all.
Stephan MELLINGER replied
I've sent an email to "firstname.lastname@example.org" and I had an answer very quickly !
Thank you to Nils for this answer.
So, as I tought, there is no matter to do the CU&UC on the 4.6C system without having this temporary ABAP Preparation System.
This system would just be there not to stop the development system for a long time.
If you can stop your developmenet system as long as you want and adapt UNICODE in the target converted system, no problem.
The good way is just to get a dual maintenance landscape.
So, the CU&UC guide is not clear because all the steps are the same that those for other versions than 4.6C.
The only difference here is to anticipate the Unicode adaptation that you can not do in the source system.
Hope it's clear for all. If not, don't hesitate to ask for details. If I can answer, it would be my pleasure to help.