cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space Check for Remote Client Copy on IBM i

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts:

My company runs SAP on IBM i & DB2 with three system landscape: Production ERP500, Quality ERQ400 and Development ERD220. I need to refresh client ERQ400 with SAP_ALL copy profile from ERP500.

The development statuses in all the systems are identical. RFC between ERP500 and ERQ400 is okay. My recent remote client copy was cancelled after 14 hours due to disk space limitation. Before copy ASP utilization on ERQ400 was 64% and after cancellation I found it to be 99.34%.

Before the copy I tried to determine the space availability on target ERQ400 using DBACOCKPIT>Space>State on Disk. I added the size of tables, primary keys and indexes which was 283 GB; this system has 792 GB ASP. I did the same calculation on source ERP500 and it was 364 GB.

Can you please tell me why this remote client copy failed due to space limitation? Did I make mistake in the space calculation? What is the right procedure to calculate space for client copy?

When the copy was cancelled, I could not longer log on to ERQ400 GUI with SAP* account. The error message I found was below: "SQL Error -901 occurred when accessing program SAP" which is a typical message for ASP occupancy.

Md Soadrul Amin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

ERQ400 - ASP total capacity 792GB  @ 64% used before copy = 506GB used; so had 286GB free space. The client being replaced you estimate has size of approx. 283GB.

- That's assuming the 64% used is when the SAP system is running? When SAP starts the temporary space (Unprotect used on WRKSYSSTS) will increase and could easily take 10% or more of your total disk space.

ERP500 - the Prod client size is approx. 364GB

So you expected the ERQ400 usage would finish up 364-283=81GB higher, or 74% used.

(which is ok for a Test system, for a while .. at least until the next full copy is requested which will depend on the growth rate of your Production system)

As to your issue with the ERQ400 system filling up, what is the journal receiver setting for Managaging and Delete receivers on the Test target system?

WRKJRNA R3XXXDATA/QSQRJN

You may want to set the following next time :

Manage receivers . . :   *SYSTEM

Delete receivers . . :   *YES  

F15 from the Journal attributes screen will show you all the receivers on disk and their status and total size.

That's likely to be what's filled up your storage.

Also have a look at note 552711 for FAQ on client copy. 

Best regards,  Michael.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Michael. Allowing the system to delete unused journal receivers helped to arrest ASP occupancy. The remote client copy has finished with 66% ASP utilization.

Regards,

Md. Soadrul Amin