cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable replication for SAP Application for Business Suite

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I want to disable replication for database <SID> in a Business Suite environment for an extended period of time, e.g. 1 month, while continuing replication for master. 

I am reading in SAP Note 2089569 - SAP ASE and SAP Replication Server: How to re-materialize master or SID databases, that to disable replication you run the following command in DR Agent:

sap_disable_replication <primary logical host name>, <database>

Is what I want to do possible? Is this the correct command to execute?  Does this command clear the replication markers on the ASE database that allows transaction logs to be cleared after successful transaction log dumps/backups?

Do DR Agent and Replication Server need to be running on both nodes for this to work?

Rematerialization of the <SID> database at a later time is a matter of going following instructions on the same SAP Note (2089569)?

Regards,

Gary

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gary,

Below command will down the replication path & which you can check in "admin who is down", But it will continue to use Replication buffer.

"sap_disable_replication <primary logical host name>, <database>"

Make sure you have respective buffer  space available to hold the transaction log  for the period.

By doing this You can re-materialized the same instance without any extra efforts.

or

Alternatively you can just stop replication & agent services on DR Site, While you turn them ON it will automatically sync with primary server. So you DR would be available without any extra efforts.

NOTE : In both case Please make sure you have Replication buffer Disk available on primary sides to hold the transaction log, else a respective data loss would be there.

Regards

Sumit Sharma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sumit,

When you say Replication buffer, are you referring to the disk space/device allocated to the Replication Server? Or are you referring to ASE transaction log?

Either way, my Replication Server disk space are full. And my ASE transaction logs are growing.

I had thought that when you disable replication and rematerialize you are loading in a fresh copy of the primary database at the secondary one.  You have to take a database dump and load that dump on the secondary. I would suppose only the data stored in the transaction log after the database dump would be needed after the rematerialization?

Regards,

Gary

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Gray,

I'm referring to the DISK allocated to replication server during configuration.Possible on path:

\sybase\<SID>_REP\repdata_1

If you have that flexibility to re materialized the data with load dump method it is OK to go with this way,

But while you have primary and standby at two far geographical location where load dump need competitively long time, I guess this method wouldn't work.

My suggestion was if you have already configured standby server just suspend the replication connection & resume connection  when you required your DR back.

Regards

Sumit