Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HCP Database and Schema

john_fitzgerald
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

This may seem like a rather elementary question. But I'm unsure about the difference between databases and schemas in the HCP context. We have a productive instance of HCP and want to setup an XS application on it. While logging on via Eclipse, we get the option of Database or Schema. With database we must also enter a DB user. However with Schema it doesn't prompt us for one. How should I proceed if I want to create modeled views and expose them over XSODATA or XSJS? 

I read the help documentation - but now IM all the more unsure.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

OliverGoetz
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi John,

just to clarify this a bit: if you want to connect to your productive instance you need to select "Databases"!

Only this will connect you to your productive instance!

If you select on of the schemas, this will go to another (shared) HANA server, where no XS application development is possible.

The database user which you get asked for is the one you can create via self-service in the HANA Cloud Platform Cockpit (navigate to the Database details (not Database Systems) for your system, there should be a link called "Database User").

Best regards,

Oliver

sapsy
Associate
Associate
0 Kudos

Hi

Using a productive HANA database, please check these sections in the documentation:

Creating an SAP HANA XS Application

Connecting to SAP HANA Databases via the Eclipse IDE

You need the database user so the application can access database.

For some background on using productive databases, you may find this section helpful:

Using a Productive SAP HANA Instance -> Features

Would you like to share some details on which documentation you were reading and what information you were missing? That would help me to find out what we can improve there.

Thanks and best regards,

Sylvia