Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem in "Data Preview" of Calculation view following upgrade

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Friends

We upgraded our DB revision of HANA to SPS 10 ( 102.04) and after that my calculation view stopped working .  Every time I am trying to do "Data Preview"  it is taking huge time and then throwing an error message like below .

Before upgrade Data Preview with similar  selection on input parameter, used to take 3-4 seconds to return 70K ( approx) records.  Now, it is running for 3-5 minutes before throwing the error message.

Same model gives data in Development or Quality although much slower performance .    Does anyone face this problem and have a solution ?

We raised high priority service message, but yet to hear back .

Regards

Anindya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. We were suggested to upgrade to SPS 102.06 ----> Problem persisted

2. I created a different version of the model with table function to make it more efficient and filter at the lowest level.   -----------> still same issue

3. SAP recommended to change max channel parameter to 40 K -----> same issue

4. SAP asked to change handler parameter ----->  Original model still does not run.  But this time , modified model ran successfully .

One of our large tables had both range and hash partition resulting in 744 total partitions. As per suggestion from SAP, we remove range partitioning and went ahead with only Hash partition .  Since, then it started working.

Regards

Anindya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anindya,

Thanks for sharing the resolution with us.

Cheers

Angad

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you check if after upgrade all schemas are in correct version.

You can check thi by executing:

select * from "_SYS_REPO"."SCHEMAVERSION";

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Anjali.

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anjali

Here is the result, how do we know if this is correct version ?

Regards

Anindya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anindya,

Is the view has something to do with Planing Engine? Similar error was fixed in Rev 97; The following snapshot may provide you some clue; (but is of Old Rev)

Prasad A V

former_member182114
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anindya,

I've heard about missing parameters on BIMC_VARIABLES after an upgrade to SP10, despite I couldn't found the solution the workaround is redeploy the calculation view to populate this content again.

Don't know if is the root cause but it's simple to you try it.

Regards, Fernando Da Rós

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Fernando

We redeployed the model , I even created copy of the model and transported that to target environment.   But no luck. 

As I was able to get data via custom SQL, I changed Execute In  to "SQL Engine"  . Still no luck.

This model has two input parameters ( no variable) and  can see those input parameters in BIMC_VARIABLES  table.

Model is slow through out the landscape, but throwing problem only in Multi-Node systems .

May be input parameter is not getting push down and Multi-node systems have huge records ( Billion range) . 

Regards

Anindya

former_member182114
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anindya,

Another thing related to upgrade is an background migration, compression in fact, but this should happens only just after upgrade.

In that case I suggest to you do a plan viz of your model and investigate what is going on.

Regards, Fernando Da Rós

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Made a copy of model with hard coded filter values ( input parameter) .  Still Data Preview is running for for ages...

Regards

Anindya

lucas_oliveira
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Anindya,

If you're referring to raw data option I advise you not to use it since it goes for all columns and little aggregation will take place.

Best thing to do here is to get the SQL statement for this version, generate the planviz and do the same for the previous version (if you still have it). You will obviously need to get a working query though (filter out data in a way that allows you to do so).

There are performance-related fixes included in 102.05 so that could explain your scenario. Any chances you can set your example on an upgraded sandbox and test it out?

BRs,

Lucas de Oliveira

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lucas

Thanks for your reply.  Calculation view is really small one ( in terms of number of columns ) .  I tried doing plan viz and saw two issues.

1. Plan Viz taking too much time compared to SPS 9 . That is in DEV or QA . In Staging or Production , it is simply hanging before making my studio unresponsive .

2. It is creating many parallel threads ( 400+) , but most of them are returning zero entries .  With my little knowledge on PlanViz , it is more difficult to analyze what is going wrong .

Unfortunately , I do not have a old version where I can compare  .  I saw reply from "Oliver" in one of the message raised with SAP by Basis team. May be that's you.

I also raised a message from my side, would you like to have a look ? Last thing I heard from colleagues is , there are some bugs which development team identified and working on . 

Regards

Anindya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anindya,

May I ask if the end node in the calculation view is "aggregation" node?

Regards

Angad

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Angad

Yes, it is .  Here is the model snapshot .

Regards

Anindya

lucas_oliveira
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Anindya,

Not me. Please share the OSS incident number in private so I can look into it.

BRs,

Lucas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anindya,

Please try following:

1. Make a copy of data model

2. Change the "aggregation" node to "projection"

3. Try to preview the data

Also, do you have calculated measures in "aggregation" node?

Regards

Angad

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anindya Bose,

Just a thought.  This might be due to the upgrade.  Can you change the client session value to cross client for that calculation view and activate and see if that helps?

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Baskar

Thanks for you reply, model is already "Cross Client" .

I tried to replicate the whole model with SQL statement, it is giving data but performance is quite slow wrt performance before upgrade upgrade .

Regards

Anindya