cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing another HANA instance on an existing clustered servers?

mert_karakilic
Participant
0 Kudos

We have this hana cluster of 512GB servers making up to 1.5TB, nothing on standby. Are there any drawbacks to installing another instance while keeping both single container installations on the same trio of the servers? Assume that the memory is not a concern and wont max out on either instance. So both instances using the same three servers but running independently using the same three servers.

Now, I know the answer is yes if there is a single hardware (not three individual servers) but I dont have much experience on the clusters so not sure if we need to worry about anything specific, if it is feasible to reuse the same trio and have another three server cluster? What do you think?

Alternatively, I wonder if I could keep the original cluster the same as three servers, no changes and add a new instance only to one of the hadware instead of creating a cluster. The secondary instance does not require as much memory so it can be happy on one of the physical hardware. I can limit the memory usage on the clustered instance on that hardware to give room for the single server instance.

I know both options are unorthodox but we need to use the same hardware and multi-tenancy using single hana installation is not an option in our case. Simple stuck with the same three servers, one instance needs all three, second can run on one of them or all three if cluster can be implemented.

Thanks for your input.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mert,

The answer to your first question for hosting more than 1 instance on a  3 node HANA system is YES, in non production. Do you have a HANA Appliance from a vendor or a TDI setup?

Depending on the kind of setup you may have to involve the vendor as carving out a new instance on the multi node system involves Storage configuration which is critical piece for such configuration.

We currently use such a system from a vendor that was customized for our environment with 2 instances on a multi node setup. As  you do not need to add any additional memory for this new instance it should be fairly easy to complete the setup.

For your second question of hosting the instance on only 1 node of the 3, I have not tried this before so I cannot confirm if such configuration is supported.

I would recommend using multi node HANA system and create a new instance spread across all 3 nodes

Hope it helps

Sunil

AtulKumarJain
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes,If you are installing this for non production use.As per my understanding for production use you can not share the resource .

In my landscape we are using the Multi-host DR site for running QA system on same hardware.

In your case if you want to install the one more HANA system on single host you can do that.

Also you can limit the resource of particular host to install another hana system.

BR

Atul