cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to enable TREX tracing for all users?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear TREX experts,

We have found in the SAP help the way to setup and visualize traces to capture search activities used by TREX

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_rc10/helpdata/en/40/a713f40f0c66fce10000000a114cbd/content.htm

However, SAP mentions that you have to specify every user you have to trace activity for. Does anybody know if there is a way to trace ALL activity regardless of the particular user running the search? We have thousands of potential users and we are trying to determine how often they use the TREX-related tool, so specifying the user is not really an option for us.

Any suggestion is very welcome

Thanks,

Miguel

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member217429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Miguel, as the activation of this trace can have serious impact on the performance I would like to check with you first, what are your requirements  - do you need to know how often the users search in TREX , or do you need exact information about the structure of the executed queries too? What's the application you use with TREX ? Best regards, Mikhail

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks guys for the answers

Mikhail, our goal is indeed to understand how often and what type of search the users perform as we have no metrics whatsoever

Our fear was indeed that this trace would affect performance but if it only affect performance on TREX searches and nothing else, I believe we can accept the risk as we believe that a very limited set of users use TREX sporadically. Do you happen to know if this trace will affect the overall performance of the system?

Thanks,

Miguel

former_member217429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Miguel, this tracing can have impact on the indexing as well as search performance (dependent on the application and users activity the search can be in worst case about of 2 times slower). From this trace you will not be able to see the exact structure of the queries , but just a part of search request as well as user ID. If you need more details (e.g. the TREX response time , list of requested attributes , exact location/attribute names where the search takes a place e.t.c.) you can either use the index usage collector , record python or performance traces in TREX. However activation of all these logs could have impact on the performance too. Unfortunately I can not say what can be the best way for such "monitoring" in your case without to have more information about your TREX setup (version, landscape configuration ..) as well as the application connected to TREX (Portal , CRM, ESH...). If you wish , you can open an OSS incident for this query and we can provide some detailed recommendations about the best settings there. Best regards, Mikhail

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks again Mikhail,

Following your suggestion, I opened an incident last week: 215436 / 2016. No response from SAP so far but I will update this ticket as soon as the item progresses

Kindest regards,

Miguel

former_member217429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Miguel, the ccms monitoring of the executed search queries isn't the best way , as it has negative impact on the performance (dependent on the scenario) and collect information about all types of the calls in the system. So it will be probably not really easy to get required information from there. On the TREX side we have some other options to get the same data. First of all you can activate the python trace (please see notes 1318344, 1533891 ,  2011708 and 1615381) . The advantage of this method is that you can set this trace for all users or just a single one, as well as monitor the activity on one of the indexes in system or any of indexes , activate this by hand or schedule . An other option is the index usage of statistics index. The note 1163732 describes the functionality for BWA, but can be used with TREX if you are at least on TREX 710 REV 64. If you want to have also information about the time, that was spent by TREX into execution of queries you can use the performance trace (note 1471435 ). Best regards, Mikhail

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Miguel,

I really have no idea how the screen looks like where you need to define users. So there are 2 things I'd try.

1) * character

2) Putting in the usernames of all valid users. This list can be obtained from SUIM.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Anita