Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Refresh with Backup/Restore Method on ASE Database

Duy_Le_-_Islet_
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to perform a system refresh to copy production system to test system by using the backup and restore method because the production system cannot be down during this time. Could you please explain what are the steps to perform the system refresh with ASE as the database?

The current test and production systems details are SAP ERP 6.0 EHP7, NetWeaver 7.4. The database version is Sybase ASE 15.7.0.135.

I tried to run the the latest version of SWPM. If SWPM cannot be used and we have to perform the restore/backup method manually, could you please list the steps and procedure to perform the system refresh.

I would be very grateful for any feedback.

Best regards,

Duy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Duy,

You can check guide depending upon your platform and stack:

https://websmp201.sap-ag.de/~form/handler?_APP=00200682500000002672&_EVENT=DISPLAY&_SCENARIO=&_HIER_...

Ideally you should be able to build using both SWPM and backup/restore method but check the guide to be sure.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Anita

Duy_Le_-_Islet_
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Anita,

Thank you for your reply. I have tried to use the guide System Copy: Systems Based on SAP NetWeaver 7.1 and Higher

However, after the step I specified the SAP ASE package, I faced the following error message:

It's really confusing the reason why SWPM asks for both kernel and ASE package so I'm not sure if this is the correct procedure for doing the system refresh based on the backup of the production or not?

If this is the recommended and correct way to perform this task, could you please provide some instruction to troubleshoot the error message?

I downloaded the following package to included to SWPM:

The current version of ASE in the systems is slightly different (15.7.0.135)

Best regards,

Duy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Duy,

Which of the following method is being used by you?

The backup/restore method and the detach/attach method have the following advantages compared to the R3load method:

● You can use an existing backup.

● You can copy the complete database software and database devices (all files below <Drive>:\sybase\<DBSID>) to the target system and use this copy to create the target system.

Also, kindly check if the following has been done as per Guide:

Procedure

1. On the source system, perform the export in one of the following ways:

○ If you perform the export using R3load, start the installer [page 41] and on the Welcome screen choose   System Copy Source System Based on AS ABAP Database Instance Export to export the database.

○ If you perform the export using database-specific tools, you must start them manually.

2. On the target host, stop all SAP application server instances, but leave the ASCS instance running.

3. Run the installer and choose   System Copy Target System  Based on AS ABAP Database Refresh or Move to install the database.

Note IBM DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows only: If you want to refresh your database schema and you receive a message that the schema user already exists, delete the existing database manually as described in section Deleting the Database Schema Manually of the installation guide.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Anita

Duy_Le_-_Islet_
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Anita,

As far as I understand, the R3load option requires that the source system has to be restarted, so we are planning to perform the backup/restore method. I already copy the backup from the production system to the test server. From the system copy guide, it seems that the option can also be carried out with the SWPM. However, due to the aforementioned error, I am considering to perform the system refresh manually.

I'm not sure how to perform the option. From the other SCN discussion SYSBASE HOMOGENOUS SYSTEM COPY, it seems that we only need to load the database of the production system to the database of the test system. But I'm not sure about the procedure to manually refresh the test system with backup/restore method. Could you please provide some suggestions to do this?

For examples, besides loading the backup of production system directly to the database of test system, what can be the other steps to ensure the test system will function correctly? Will we have to change some settings, such as the database or SAP system SID somewhere?

Best regards,

Duy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Duy,

The answer to your query lies in Section 5.6 (Pages 76 and 77).

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Anita

Duy_Le_-_Islet_
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Anita,

As I mentioned, the guide only named the option for backup/restore and attach/detach options, without showing the details to do it. Due to the error I faced when running the SWPM, I decided to perform the backup/restore option manually by using isql, then performed some post system copy activities.

Anyway, the system has been copied now.

Thanks for your contribution.

Best regards,

Duy

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Le.

Kindly refer the SCN thread with same query - SYSBASE HOMOGENOUS SYSTEM COPY. | SCN

BR

SS

Duy_Le_-_Islet_
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have read the discussion you mentioned, but as I tried to perform the Homogenous System Copy with SWPM, I faced the problem that I explained in the above reply.

If SWPM cannot be used and we have to perform the restore/backup method manually, I'm not sure what are the steps and procedure to perform the system refresh.

For examples, besides loading the backup of production system directly to the database of test system, what can be the other steps to ensure the test system will function correctly? Will we have to change some settings, such as the database or SAP system SID somewhere?

Best regards,

Duy

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Le.

Kindly refer the SAP system copy guide from following SAP link. Select the OS / DB & SAP version.  SAP NetWeaver Guide Finder

Regards

SS

Duy_Le_-_Islet_
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I already tried that guide, it actually the same one that I mentioned above (System Copy: Systems Based on SAP NetWeaver 7.1 and Higher). However, the guide mostly mentioned about using SWPM so general that it's hard to tell which is the step to take in our case. I followed the guide instruction to choose the Database Refresh or Move, then there is no further information. Then I faced the error as being mentioned in my previous reply:

Also, the guide does not provide information how to perform backup/restore method (only mentioning that detach/attach and backup/restore methods are supported). In our case, since the production system cannot be down so the steps mentioned in the guide seems to be irrelevant.

Best regards,

Duy

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Li.

System copy Homogeneous System copy method(Backup / Restore).

1. On your source system Do the full database backup & Start the SWPM source system export.

2. On your target system. Restore the database from source. & start the SWPM to import.

before starting the system copy on source refer the system copy guide prerequisite

Regards

SS