Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What use is NWDS in a 7.4 Dual Stack install

che_eky
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Can someone help clarify if NWDS is of any use when working on a PI 7.4 dual stack installation? From my understanding the Integration Directory view can only be used with single stack installations, without this view I cannot see any benefits to using the NWDS. From previous experience the major advantage was the use of iFlows, but this is only possible with single stack installs.

If the ESR can be accessed using NWDS in a dual stack installation is it of any benefit? I would rather use the swing client.

Any help appreciated

Che

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Che,

If the ESR can be accessed using NWDS in a dual stack installation is it of any benefit?

I haven't clear that you can use NWDS to develop ESR objects in dual installation, i have read threads with problems about this, may be from any SP is solved.

With an eclipse tool like NWDS you can work without the problems of to run the swing tools, for example you have several PI versions, you can install several NWDS for each version. IMO in general, we can say that this a second way to develop your integrations with a standard IDE like eclipse where you java developments are easier to be developed.

On the other side, you can do a third tools for example to activate or deactivate channels with the Directory API.

Regards.

che_eky
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Iñaki,

Good to hear from you! As Michal says we can use the ESR on a dual install, but I do not think it has any major advantage over the swing client, apart from maybe for Java developments.

Is channel activation a part of the ESR or Integration Directory? Either way it is not sole reason enough to make me want to use NWDS.

With NWDS I would want to make use of the ESR and ID together, working hand in hand. It looks like I will stick with the swing client on this dual install.

Che

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Che,

Is channel activation a part of the ESR or Integration Directory? Either way it is not sole reason enough to make me want to use NWDS.

You have an API to work with Integration directory http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/a0336199-d3c7-2c10-c983-f8a945a45..., with this you can do the same that you do in the swing tool, furthermore  you can do a small applications for example to retrieve all the channels and to set them inactive. The channel are related with the ID.

From basis perspective, i think they will need to open a few ports and they can omit the swing tool maintenance with problems like the performance when you work with the swing tool and the response time is not optime., if your work under a VPN, and so on.

From developer perspective, personally, i work faster with the swing tool and i only use the NWDS to develop java mappings, adapter modules or to do small application for me to get any particular information or any particular maintenance. However, it seems that integration with NWDS is better in each new version and the developing seems to be more integrated in only one tool in the future.

You should wait the opinions of other SCN members like that they have worked more intensely with NWDS. 

Regards.

che_eky
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

On my last project I worked fully with the NWDS on a single stack and only used the swing client for complex graphical mappings. It was great and I much prefer it to the swing client.

However I am now faced with a dual stack and I am leaning towards using the swing client with ICO where possible.

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Major gaps for NWDS ESR perspective is really only closed in 7.5 SP02 as detailed below.

If you are on 7.4 dual stack, I think it'd be more productive to stick to the Swing-based clients. You can't use iFlow (big reason to use NWDS) and a lot of the ESR gaps are still not closed.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. ESR - can be accessed and used

2. java mapping - with NWDI

3. adapter modules - with NWDI

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk

che_eky
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michal,

I don't believe I have used the NWDI before and it looks like it is specifically for managing Java based developments. Like I said being able to access the ESR from NWDS is not a major advantage over the swing client.

Looks like I will stick with the swing client when using a dual stack.

Che