cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repair TREX install

neil_hoff
Participant
0 Kudos

We have 2 TREX servers in a Master/Backup setup.

The windows host for our TREX master system started blue screening and wouldn't come back up without a Windows Repair.

This repair removed all the admins, shares and I assume registry entries.  The "usr" directory and all of it's files are still there.

Is there a way to repair the master?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

behlau_carlos
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Neil,

are you using dedicated hardware or is your TREX servers running on virtual environment (like VMware)?

If you are running on virtual you can check out:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755163.aspx

and make sure, your are installing the virtual tools (afterwards) that your virtual hosts provides (if any).

Windows Recovery is usually not replacing application path, like usr or removing shares.

I suspect, the Windows Recovery might using a restore point, where SAP was not installed and therefore the shares are missing - you might need to rerun the installation, if there is no backup.

You might want to cross check also your backup/restore plans, to make sure, mission critical systems are backup and restore it tested. Master/Backup on SAP level might be not the same, as on OS level (in case you are not using Microsoft Cluster, with active/passive node ...)

In case of dedicated hardware, you should cross check with your hardware vendor, if there are recovery paths to follow, as it might be the case, your server needs drivers/software from the vendor to run properly, as the Microsoft Drivers, that are delivered during recovery, might not being fully supported by the hardware/OS.

Best regards

Carlos

neil_hoff
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the answer.  The usr directory and all the files under it were not deleted.

But...TREX is no longer installed on the server.

I didn't do the Windows server repair but was told it was a boot from Windows Install and run the repair.  It wasn't a restore point from VMWare.

My question is if it is possible to run a repair with the SAP TREX install and keep all the same settings since the usr directory is still intact?  And if so how do you go about this?  I cannot find any documentation anywhere.

behlau_carlos
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Niel,

that is what I understood, no files/folders deleted, but no SAP installations anymore.

That situation sound very like, Windows repair tool (with boot CD or by F8 - does not matter) picked up a restore point, where SAP wasn't installed.

As example: Windows is creating restore points, when patches are installed.

You can try:

Create a save copy of your [usr] folder, reinstall SAP TREX with the same settings, stop all SAP related services and replace the usr folder (that work at least for me, when we had an issue with a web dispatcher, some time ago).

If this are mission critical systems, I would suggest to open a ticket at SAP support portal. SAP might having a SAP note, covering the issue ... or is going to create one ...

Best regards

Carlos

former_member217429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Neil, the TREX doesn't have repair functionality for the case if the data was deleted , or the Windows OS was restored. Although you have the folder structure currently under /usr/sap .. you probably missing some required entries in the Windows registry and as I understand the Windows service is missing too. Although it's possible to recreate the missing windows TREX service "SAP_ using the command sc.exe this can cause negative side effects when you add the host back into landscape. I would like to recommend a different way: First of all as I understand you have setup the master -backup landscape. It means that the former backup is automatically switched to the master. You can set this on TREXAdminTool -> Landscape -> Configuration to 1st master and uncheck the flag "backup Index/Queue Server". Now you can reinstall the TREX on the master (you need to delete the folders and files in TREX instance  first). When you finish and TREX will be up and running you need to add the new installed into the landscape using the TREXAdminTool . The configuration settings will be replicated there automatically. If you wish that we look into your system , please create an incident for this case. Best regards, Mikhail

AtulKumarJain
Active Contributor
0 Kudos