cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are there both item & product proposal when both are same & serve same purpose?

0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have been wondering for quite some time but at last i thought to post this question here in the forum. I know there are many posts here & in other forums with the same topic and there were only short,vague replies stating that both are one and the same thing & then they went on to compare Product Proposal with Mat. Determination or Cross sales. So no one ever re-asked that why then SAP maintains these 2 options when any one of them could have served the purpose??

Are there really any minor differences ,if yes,please share.

And it seems the procedures are different in case of PV(Item proposal) where you have to create & assign some Cust. Procedure in Customer Master but in case of Prod. Proposal doc type is MS & there is no such thing as Cust PP to be assigned .

Then my question is ,why the options are kept alive when any one of them could have served the purpose. Also ,if there is some technical difference between the two ,can someone please tell me what is the real difference between the two? Why we need a Cond.Type for Item Proposal but not for a Product Proposal? Why are there different document types for each of them if they are one & same thing & serve the same purpose?

With Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

On your comments

Why we need a Cond.Type for Item Proposal but not for a Product Proposal?

I am not sure, where you see condition type in VA51.  If my memory is right, in VA51, initial screen, you need to select Proposal Type and Sales Area and subsequently, Material, quantity and validity period.  Right now, I am in front of SAP and hence, not able to confirm this.

By the way, coming to your query on difference between Item Proposal and Product Proposal, please find below

• Item Proposal          -     Material specific
  • Product Proposal     -     Customer specific

G. Lakshmipathi

0 Kudos

Hi

Yes it is not condition type. Sorry by mistake I wrote that. I think it will be "Customer Procedure" & "Document Procedure" for creating a Product Proposal. But then are the two viz "Product Proposal" & " Dynamic Product Proposal" one & same thing??

Please reply to this.

With Regards

0 Kudos

Hi Lakshmipathi ,

1)Will you please share with me the reason why you term "Item proposal" as "Material specific" & "Product Proposal" as "Customer specific"?

2)Why do we require a PP cust proc for "Product Proposal" but not for "Item Proposal" though we all say that both are same?

3)How do we configure "Dynamic Prod Proposal" & what is the difference between ordinary "Product Proposal" & "Dynamic Product Proposal" ?

Thanks & Regards

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I expected you to do some research after my above post and again you were asking the same question which I don't encourage.  Please execute both the transactions in parallel screens and compare to your yourself so that you will be able to understand.  In Product Proposal, you have to maintain customer code whereas in Item Proposal, you only maintain material code.

By the you have not yet explained here what is the business process

G. Lakshmipathi

0 Kudos

I still don't get you Sir. When I type Tcode VA51 & select either PV or MS as Proposal type both take me to the same screen where it asks for material ,quantity and "validity date range".

So where does customer code comes in?

Secondly, my other question still remain unanswered as to, what is the difference between -

"Product Proposal" & "Dynamic Product Proposal" ??

Thanks & Regards

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rajat,

As I understand, may be end result might be common for both of them. But, there is a fair difference the way result is computed. Product Proposal far more dynamic that of Item Proposal. If you look at Product Proposal one of the example can be, where the system will automatically propose a list of products for a specific customer during sales document processing. This really entry help and an aid to sales team, b'coz in some industry the ordering pattern don't change for some specific customer. So, this will display/propose list of material as soon as you enter the customer in allowing sales doc type.

Have look on the following link, it might provide little SAP functional insight on both functionality:

- Dynamic Product Proposal

If you still have any concerns, do let us know.

Thanks, JP

0 Kudos

Thank You sir for the reply. You mentioned about "Dynamic Product Proposal" but is it the same as "Product Proposal" ??

When I type Tcode VA51 and in the "Item Proposal Type" textbox there is no option to select this option of "Dynamic Product Proposal" . Then why do all people say the word "Dynamic" when the options are only two viz. - "Item proposal" & "Product proposal".

So is there any difference between "Product Proposal" and "Dynamic Product Proposal" or both are same?

Further the document type for "Product Proposal" is "MS" ,then what is the Doc. type for "Dynamic Product Proposal"?

Also,I think the main difference that many forget to mention in their posts between "item proposal" and "Product Proposal" is that in case of "item proposal" there is no "customer procedure" in customer master whereas in case of "Product proposal". there is a customer pp assigned in customer master.

Plz correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

With Best Regards