cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distribution of Samples among the employees

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

My client is in the process of migrating in SAP from legacy ERP system.

Company is a publisher and sells books.

Every month company distributes free sample copy of a specific book among all its employees working from 7 different location.

I need to create a functional specification for this

Biz Overview

would you please guide me for writing this functional specification please?

I suppose I need to create employee as a customer.

I will need to create a book( new material), need to maintain stock in the goods issue storage location

I need to create a distribution list to include all the employees

There needs to  be a program logic that will automatically create a '0' value invoice, for that the program will check the publication date and work backwards and will calculate release to the warehouse. Warehouse picks and dis patches these orders. A0 value invoice needs to be generated

Th

Thanks

Sangeeta

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sangeeta,

- Why does your client need an invoice of zero value?

Refer FD free of charge standard SD process.

In this, order > delivery but billing step is not configured. None the less, it will give you some idea about configuration in order type, item category

- FD has a delivery block. This is setup for extra control.

- For this process, you might want a dedicated number range, you might want to consider a different number range assigned to this new sales document type.

- You can consider, creating a new sales office(s) for this process. Could help in reporting.

- Why does your client distribute a book to all employees, every month? Is it to get feedback (reviews on the book)? or....

- At what time, do you stock up the inventory, for the sale of books? At what stage are books given to employees?

Company distributes a specific book every month to all its employees. In other words, all employees receive the same book, this reduces the complexity of different titles to different employees.

- How many employees are there in total? Depending upon that, how to setup employees as customers, can be finalized

- In what locations are these employees?

- In this book company, already the book might be having a SAP material number, is there a need to create a material number in SAP again?

- Is the book given to employees, the same as that sold to customers?

Please explain what you want from below information?

for that the program will check the publication date and work backwards and will calculate release to the warehouse. Warehouse picks and dis patches these orders. 

Return process:

- If employee is on leave, then what will happen? Will the book be kept by someother person from his/her department

- If the book reaches the employee in damaged condition, then is there an exchange process? How would you map that in SAP

- Employees who have left the company, the list of employees should be updated. What if a book is sent for an employee who has left the organization?

TW

Message was edited by: TW Typewriter added comments, made clearer by formatting

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I believe it depends on the company policy - what and how they wish to track the process that and on country legislation - what they absolutely have to track and show in their books.

In some countries even if you give away free products you have to pay VAT, sometimes you have additional taxes, so you need to issue an official invoice with the correct number range and you show this in your books.

Some companies define/or should define each of the employees as separate customer numbers, in others they opt for one-time customer or dummy customer per department (especially if they use an external system or some special software for that process).

From what you have described, it seems that you need to perform requirements gathering, spend some time with people from HR, Finance, Logistics.

Why HR? Well, you may need to access sensitive data about employees to determine what quantity and when to give to each employee (it could be even in a separate system). You need to know what employees are eligible to get based on the group contract (I am not sure if this is the exact English term), what internal controls are established to avoid misuse, what documents and reports are needed for different departments.

Why Finance/Controlling? Because even if you don't profit from these books, you spent money to produce them, you also wish to track where your money went, you have to show this in your books. FI/CO would know what postings they expect to see. One more thing - in some countries zero value invoices are not allowed at all, so check with the your legal adviser how this process is treated.

Why Logistics? Because you do not know when the books are requested, where they are stored, when and how people pick them from the warehouse, how and when these books are shipped to other locations (imagine an office in the city center and a warehouse 30 km from there). Scheduling is quite important, also it is very important to know the implications on product availability - what if a customer wishes to buy the same book and you do not have sufficient stock to cover both his his requirement and employees' requirement?

Can employees choose which book they want? If yes - how, when? Can you simply go to the warehouse and take the books from there?

Who and how orders the books? Every employee fills a form by choosing products from a catalog in a company website, or writes mails, prints requests etc.? Or the team lead does that for all his subordinates? Does this depend on contract type - permanent, part-time, temporary? What are the reporting requirements, do you need special printforms? Do you need traceability per employee or per department/per location is sufficient for invoicing?

Seriously, you cannot prepare a meaningful functional specification if you skip the requirements gathering phase. Organize a workshop/conference call and discuss the open topics before you propose a solution to the client.

You do not need a 'special' program logic that will automatically create a '0' value invoice, this could probably be achieved with proper customizing and some job. If you need one invoice per location, then maybe creating 7 invoices manually via VF04 is not such a big deal.