Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECC - Windows 2012 R2 and SQL 2005 compatibility

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have ECC6.0/BI7.0/Portal7.0 in windows 2003/Sql 2005. I am planning to migrate to windows 2012R2/SQL2012. First install SQL 2005 on Windows 2012, install SAP, Upgrade SQL 2005 to SQL 2012. Is this possible in one step? Please help ASAP. Will it allow me to install SQL 2005 in windows 2012R2? I am also meeting the minimum required SAP release for WINDOWS/SQL 2012. Now just trying to make it possible with ne step upgrade from windows 2003/sql2005 to Windows 2012/SQL 2012.

Thanks,

Kavitha Rajan.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kavitha,

You can do this as a one-step migration, and more simply than you describe. Presumably you're taking advantage of the opportunity to move to new hardware at the same time? If so, the recommended process is:

1. Install Windows 2012 R2 on the new hardware.
  2. Install SQL Server 2012 on the new hardware (don't upgrade; this is a new installation).
  3. Do a homogeneous system copy (with SWPM) to export your SAP system from the original server (you can choose backup/restore or export/import, depending upon your requirements).
  4. Use SWPM to simultaneously install and import your SAP system on the new hardware.

Cheers,

Matt

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Matt,

Thanks for the quick reply. Usually I perform very simple homogenous/ DB detach/Attach method system copy using standard installation tool as the DB version is same and also ABAP (only) system. Now to use your suggestion, if the DB version is different from source to target, what method of system copy do I need to use? Heterogenous with SWPM? Anything different than the SQL upgrade method? Any post copy activities? Like with the other method I usually run the post DB upgrade activity using SWPM to modify stored procedures etc. Also I can use the same method for Windows2008/SQL2008 with CRM right? Yes, I have new hardware for the migration.

Thanks,

Kavitha Rajan.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's still a homogeneous system copy, same as before, even though you are going to a different version of the DBMS. So your detach/attach method will still work, and you run exactly the same process in SWPM and same manual post-copy tasks as you would before.

Have a look at where I go into this in a bit more detail.

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Matt,

Thank you so much for the quick guidance. Will get back to you for any guidance.

Thanks,

Kavitha Rajan.

Answers (0)