cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUM - The tool is not running

0 Kudos

hi,

I am on iSeries (AS400) and upgrading NW 7.4 (ABAP only) SPS9 to SPS14.

SUM is SP16(PL2)

I had to exit the SUM browser at end of day(with SUM process still running)

and i had daily backup running which prevented a directory being read,

which caused the SUM process to be error-ed out. Now the backup has

completed and all the directories are accessible. When i try to get

into

SUM browser it logs me in with sidadm without any issues, but the

screen

say

The tool is not running

When i click next, it says error occurred

Error Details :

Status Code : 503

Status text : Service Unavailable

Detailed Message : Message from service : SAPup process exited with

status -1 ,| Check the browser console for more information.

Any idea on how to fix this issue?

SAPHOSTAGENT is on the latest version

I have restarted saphostagent, also tried to register SUM to hostagent

again. Killed SUMSTART job PGM-SAPup-real from the OS level. None of

these steps helped.

Output of the failed tool:

Output of failed tool
execution:EXEC> Starting subprocess with PID 59023 at 20160316143013
  ENV: DIR_LIBRARY=/sapmnt/DBW/exe/uc/as400_pase_64 ENV:
ILE_PATH=/sapmnt/DBW/exe/uc/as400_pase_64:/usr/bin:. ENV:
LIBPATH=/sapmnt/DBW/exe/uc/as400_pase_64 ENV:
PASE_LIBPATH=/sapmnt/DBW/exe/uc/as400_pase_64 ENV:
PASE_LOCPATH=/usr/lib/nls/loc ENV:
PASE_PATH=/sapmnt/DBW/exe/uc/as400_pase_64:/QOpenSys/usr/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/QOpenSys/usr/bin/X11:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:.
  ENV: PASE_STDIO_ISATTY=N ENV: PASE_THREAD_ATTACH=Y ENV:
PASE_TZ=<MST>7<MDT>,M3.2.0,M11.1.0 ENV: PASE_USRGRP_LIMITED= 
ENV:
PATH=/sapmnt/DBW/exe/uc/as400_pase_64:/QOpenSys/usr/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/QOpenSys/usr/bin/X11:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:.
  ENV: SAPSYSTEMNAME=DBW ENV: dbms_type=db4 ENV: dbs_db4_rdbname=SAPDATA 
  PWD: /SAPDATA/usr/sap/DBW/SUM/abap EXECUTING
/SAPDATA/usr/sap/DBW/SUM/abap/bin/SAPup rootdir=/usr/sap/DBW/SUM/abap
guiconnect=127.0.0.1:54821 Assertion failed: CurrentModuleDef != NULL, file 
SAPupmodule.c, line 186 *** FATAL: Got signal 'SIGABRT' (6)! Please contact the
SAP support! *** FATAL: SAPup got signal in phase '', stack trace written to
dev_SAPup.

SAPupConsole.log:03/16/2016 at 00:53:05- this is last error

Converting 3 entries from 'CHECKS.LOG'

>> Current module status: continue with phase PREP_GENCHECKS/CONFCHK

Converting 3 entries from 'CHECKS.LOG'

>> Waiting for request handler...

*** FATAL ERROR: Cannot open '/usr/sap/DBW/SUM/abap/tmp/SAPupDialog.txt': Device busy

Error processing dialog 'DeleteFileFailed'

Note- the above issue is what caused the initial error in SUM due the iSeries backup. This directory is accessible now after backup is completed.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

@Renato - where you able to restart SUM with PL6 ? I mean, can you stop and restart SUM? Or did you not get the IFS file issue while backup with SUM SP16 PL3 version ? @Arpit - No, my message is still with SAP and they are doing some more analysis with the development team. BTW - I had completed my DEV system upgrade with manual upgrade process ./SAPup gt=scroll. I was almost at 77% complete and didn't want to start from scratch again. This workaround was recommended by SAP, provided we were comfortable with the process. It worked just fine. Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sheril!

I wasn't able to restart SUM, using PL6. I reset de update process and started all over again (after reseting, cleaning SUM and sapinst_instdir directories.

My message stand with SAP, and they are working together with development team (like in your situation).

I did exactly like you, using "SAPup gt=scroll" (after killing every SAPup and SUM processes) to finish my update, because we were late on our schedule, and I couldn't wait for a SAP solution. I'll use the solution proposed (when they give me an answer) in the next update process that probably I'll need to perform.

Lets deal this: The first one to receive an anwser of SAP support, share here! 🙂

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There definitely seems some issue with SUM SP16 PL6.

Check this out:

I reset the upgrade and started it with SUM SP16 PL2, it went through fine.

- Arpit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Arpit, for your anwser!

Unfortunately we were not using a option "Single System" and the same problem happened.

In the update process of our Development environment - after the error - we killed SUM and SAPup processes and started in a "console mode", using "SAPup gt=scroll" until the end of processes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I receive a SAP answer for my message, and they told me that it was related to a bug in the SUM version that I was using (SUM 10 SP 16 PL3). I happened to other client that has the same architeture as us (AS400).

So, the solution was to download SUM 10 SP16 (PL6) and start all over again...

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have the same problem. Could you please share the solution?

I'm using iSeries too, and I'm updating an NW74 ABAP from SP08 to SP14, using SUM10SP16

The problem ocurred in the exactly same situation, when backup started and locked some IFS files.

Even after the backup execution, the erro message is the same, telling that "SAPup process exited with status -1"... "Service Unavailable (503)".. and I can't move on.

0 Kudos

hi Renato,

I didn't have much luck, with restarting SUM. I have opened up a ticket with SAP and working with them. Will update when i have a resolution.

Other alternatives you might try is to exclude SUM directory from BRMS backup for the entire duration of the upgrade. When you have to back up the SUM directory, do a copy of the SUM directory to a different location, don't use the BRMS backup. This worked for me, until one of the admins  accidentally included the SUM back in the backup process. I am almost 77% complete with upgrade and in downtime, so didn't want to restart the upgrade process again and hence opened a ticket with SAP.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sheril,

Same issue: Tool is not running.

Seems like a bug with SP16 SUM tool.

Please let me know if you find something.

- Arpit Doshi