Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AFARIA ERROR: MDM deployment ERROR with iOS 9.2.1

K-
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

A review of my current issue:

- Updated Afaria server in incremental mode (due to dependencies of the various patches) up to SP12 released on March 15.
- The system has been tested successfully with devices updated to version 9.3 preview of iOS
- With devices with 9.2.1 version the Afaria client has an installation error, although they are registered correctly  during enrollment phase.

The problem regarding the 9.2 version of IOS and concerning the deployment of enterprise applications via MDM is well known, here is some thread:
- https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/27960
- https://emm.how/t/unable-to-push-managed-app-s-to-apple-ios-9-2-devices/87/17

Even in the wiki Afaria is a well known problem (always relative to 9.2). https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/SAPMOB/Hot+Issues+-+Announcements+-+Upcoming+events link
It is described as fixed with version 9.2.1 and latest Afaria patches, although we continue to experience the same problem on your device: IPH6021: MDM app Deployment Error.

Here the excerpt:

App installation on iOS 9.2

There have been reports of managed app installation issues with devices upgraded to iOS 9.2. We recommend that customers advise their users not to upgrade to iOS 9.2     at this time.  This issue is impacting all EMM/MDM and is not specific to SAP Afaria/Mobile Secure.

For more information please review the following discussion http://scn.sap.com/thread/3839292

January 21th, SAP Mobile Secure has announced official support for iOS 9.2.1 in SP9 and SP10. Documentation is about to be updated.

The Afaria client has been created with the latest version available on the METS site (frontline.sybase.com) and successfully testedwith iOS 9.3 preview.

I need support in finding a solution to the 9.2.1 issue.

Thank you.

AK -

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

jtaylor
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Andrea, that is strange, is your server isolated enough where you could look at the IIS logs to determine which connection to the Afaria server was failing? (there should be a GET to the Content endpoint for the plist, the icon and the ipa)

What do you see on the device when it fails? (Does it have the app's icon, does it start showing the installation progress indictator, etc.)

What percentage of time does it fail to install?

Do you have another server environment (Dev or Test) where you can try to connect one of the same devices that was failing in this environment and see if it fails against that environment?

jtaylor
Active Participant
0 Kudos

some other important questions to consider:

Does this happen with all enterprise apps on iOS 9.2.1 devices?

Do you see any other IPH errors (like IPH3011) logged along with the IPH6021 error?

Can you use iTunes to install the same application you are testing on a device that is failing to install via MDM?

former_member197903
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello John,

I am going through the same issue. I get IPH6021 and IPH3011 error when i apply policy to the device and when i enroll new device.

This issue is not with 1 or 2 users, this issue has been affected to all enrolled devices.

We pushed enterprise and play store apps under MDM managed.

Please assist.

Regards,

VP

jtaylor
Active Participant
0 Kudos

, What version of Afaria are you running? Does that device already have the application installed? The message following the IPH3011 should provide some hint about what is wrong. Does the problem present only on iOS 9.2.1 devices, or are you seeing it on other iOS versions?

In later versions of Afaria, the Managed App Takeover should take over the app and wouldn't result in the same errors if the app was already instaleld.

jtaylor
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi , Have you had a chance to check on this?

former_member197903
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply.

Environment: SP04 HF19

iOS Version: 8, 8.0.2, 8.4.1, 9, 9.1, 9.2, 9.2.1

Afaria Version: 6.60.6620.2

I see this below errors on IPH3011

IPH3011: iOS[12026] The app “com.abc.afariaclient” is already scheduled for management

IPH3011: iOS[12026] The app “com.abc.sso is already scheduled for management.

IPH3011: iOS[12025] The app “abcd” is already installed.

IPH6021: MDM app Deployment Error. xyz@abc.net

This issue is with all iOS version.

I have just on-boarded new iOS device in which no managed apps are installed, but still i get those mentioned error.

Any idea?

Regards,

VP

K-
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi John,

sorry for the late answer.

Seems everything is working correctly with 9.3 GA.

No chance to work out the 9.2.1 issue.

As wrote by i'm not the only one, though i already upgraded to SP12.

The errors I can see in the server logs are the same that described in his message.

regards,

K -

K-
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi ,

iOS 9.3 is GA, download it and try with this version, if your env is compliant.

K -

jtaylor
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Do you wish to pursue this any further? I believe testing for official support of iOS 9.3 is ongoing, but I have not heard of any failures yet.

If you do not wish to pursue this further, please mark one of the replies above as correct (showing that iOS 9.3 resolved the issue).

former_member197903
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello John,

As mentioned in his post that many of issue related to MDM has been fixed and it has been released on Wiki SAP document. I too checked those wiki docs and upgraded all devices to 9.2.1 version but no luck.

I think need some changes on wiki document.

i'll upgrade one of my test device and let you know the result soon.

Regards,

VP

jtaylor
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi ,

The message "The app “com.abc.afariaclient” is already scheduled for management" means that the device has already received the payload for managing the specified app, but the user has not responded to the prompt for install yet, or has not been prompted yet. There was a device OS issue causing this error at one point, but I haven't seen many incidents on it since iOS 9 was released, so it may have been resolved by the OS update. Unfortunately since the bug report was filed with another company, and we were not the original reporters, we are not able to check the status of it.

The message "The app “abcd” is already installed" indicates that the user had somehow installed the application prior to when MDM tried to install the application. They may have done so by installing through itunes or a mac, or it may have been installed via MDM, but the inventory for it had not been processed yet (inventory is requested ~10 minutes after the request to install a MDM installed app). The newest/supported releases of Afaria can help overcome this second issue when the app was instaled outside of the MDM relationship by "taking over management" of the app.

former_member197903
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply.

I have on boarded new iOS devices and tried with mutliple user accounts. I checked there were no apps installed on device which are created in app policy.

But still i get those errors after enrollment and schedule policy / manually push policy.

-V

K-
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you, let me know if 9.3 is ok also for your case.

K -

jtaylor
Active Participant
0 Kudos

, you should also look into upgrading to a newer/supported version of Afaria. The newer releases contain an enhancement that works with iOS's managed app takeover feature, which would help reduce your messages like 'The app “abcd” is already installed.'

jtaylor
Active Participant
0 Kudos

, I think Vinayak's problem is slightly different as he is running into the problem with all iOS versions (8, 8.0.2, 8.4.1, 9, 9.1, 9.2, 9.2.1); We'll continue to support him through this regardless of the state of your question if you wish to mark your reply as answer.

K-
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi John,

I had quite the same error i think.

Tested with iOS 9.2.1,9.2, 8.x with the same results.

Tested with SP4 fix19 and SP12.

Only seeing differences with iOS 9.3

K -

jtaylor
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Ah, okay. I misunderstood originally that this was only occuring on 9.2/9.2.1 for you. Are you still seeing good results with 9.3?

former_member197903
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello John,

Sorry for delay in my response.

Issues resolved me on 9.3 version.

thanks, i do not see those errors after upgrading to iOS 9.3.

Regards,

V P