cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What exactly is Solution Manager and what is it used for..??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I was born 7 weeks ago when it comes to SAP. The feeling of reading/studying SAP, is somehow ambivalent. The more I read the more confused I get simultaneously I also get a lot wiser in the area. To get as wide understanding within SAP as possible and also securing my own future, I decided to dug into Solution Manager. Let me get into the case instead of all the chit chat.

As I understand, Solution Manager is an application whose main area is to monitor and manage all other SAP and Non-SAP application. Within Solution Manager there are some tools which help you fulfil this. Is this correct?

So far, documentation has been the only area I have been looking at, without exactly understanding it deeply. In a nutshell, you have a company and want the documentation to be placed in SolMan, so that it can act like a single source of truth. You create a project and hereby a business blueprint where you put all your documents in the correct activities. When all this is set you convert it into a solution? As you probably can tell I am not fully sure that this is correct.

If we take a fictional company as an example can anybody draw a picture of how SolMan works in a specific scenario (also the technical details)?

Example: Company x has n amount of applications on top of a platform and they want to use SolMan as a centralized tool.. then what?

I apologize if some of my questions are a bit blurry but ones need to start somewhere.

Thank you very much in advance

Kind regards,

Bao

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

rishav54
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Solution manager is the Application lifecycle management tool.

SAP Solution Manager – SAP Help Portal Page

Considering your scenario,as the name suggest solution manager will manage those applications in terms of any changes you want to perform on those applications you can integrate and impose systematic and automated change management for those applications.

You can monitor those applications from technical and business KPI's perspective, you can get notified if any criticality detected and it can be proactive or reactive monitoring.

Further it may be that if you are developing, upgrading or testing those applications, solution manager can be utilized with sufficient amount of automation in almost each area.

It may be like for those applications any root cause analysis and set of reports provided by sap can be performed or extracted.

Now it all depends on what type of application are you managing and what is the supportability with current scenarios.

I hope it will help.

Thanks

Rishav

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bao,

Start preparing via RKT learning maps, help.sap and scn to read and get started

i would still suggest to attend SAP trainings as per your interest.

in the mean time do check

https://support.sap.com/solution-manager/knowledge-transfer/early-knowledge-transfer.html

https://support.sap.com/solution-manager/processes.html

https://support.sap.com/solution-manager/processes/Library.html

Solution Manager 7.1 - Solution Manager - SCN Wiki

hoping this will help you to gain good understanding...All the best further

Thanks

Prakhar