cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What actually causes PI to "start" ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am an absolute beginner with PI so my question may not make a lot of sense.

We have a modified version of t-code F110 (Payments) that creates an IDoc file for our bank (ACH and Wire Payments).

The file gets encrypted via PGP and sent to the bank.

Everything works fine but I don't understand what causes PI to run in the first place.

Does the ABAP program that runs from F110 send a separate message to PI?

Is there some PI agent running all the time that looks in the folder specified in the Sender Communication Channel?

Just putting a file in a folder by itself shouldn't do anything.

What tells PI to do something?

Damon

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

PI will have sender channel with polling frequency set... PI channel will keep polling the folder path for interval  - (where sap generated the file and placed).

PI will pick the file and perform PGP ,send to Bank.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ram,

That seems correct... the Sender Communication Channel polls once every 10 minutes.

One follow up question if you don't mind;

I know the file is sent to the bank twice a day (10:52 AM and 4:52 PM right to the second)...

I can see that in the Message Monitor.

So a similar question for the receiver would be, is the file somehow waiting somewhere until it becomes the "right time" to go to the bank?

Former Member
0 Kudos

check the channel monitoring for the sender channel is having any availability planning set up..

or

SAP will have job to generate the file daily twice.. one in the morning and other evening end of business...

nitindeshpande
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Damon,

Have you SWIFT (Auto-Cient/ Alliance Converter) in your system landscape for Bank communication?

If yes, the files will be first put into an Auto-client installed in the Customer Network. And in emission folder of the Auto-client this payment files will be dropped and Alliance converter present in SWIFT network will poll for the files and this time can be configured by you in the Auto-client. After this the file will be picked up by Alliance converter and sent to the Bank on a SWIFTNet Network.

If it is Bank production system, the Bank system will be always running and Bank usually uses Web-services at their end and for the payment request, bank responds with the Response file. Hence it is sent to the Bank in real time as you must not miss the Value date for making the payment.

Regards,

Nitin

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to everyone for your help.

After much review I found that the payment program was writing text files each time it was run.

They would remain in the folder until the Job ran. At that point, the file was pulled into PI, encrypted, and sent to the bank.

Additionally, the text files got archived as specified by the Sender Com. Channel.

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Damon,

Glad to hear.

Please close the thread.

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Damon,

This is the polling of File Adapter.

Once you configure the Sender File adapter with directory , files to be picked and the polling Interval

The file channel will poll and look out for whether file mentioned is available in the directory or not.

If it is present it will pick and process the file(converting to XML) or other requirements based on configurations in PI.

Additionally you an configure ATP as RAM suggested which means this channel will run only during that particular time configured.

To know more about ATP refer the below link

Planning Availability Times - Process Integration Monitoring - SAP Library

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good information Rag, (hope that's a polite abbreviation for your name)

that clears up a lot.

One final thing.

I found the Jobs that send the files on to the bank...

So did the file that got picked up during the polling of the file channel go into some queue and

wait there until the job ran?

Damon

former_member182412
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you find the job in channel scheduling in Pi then channel will be stopped all the time and not polling when it is stopped, only when the job started then only channel will pickup the file and send to the bank, if schedule the channel for 15 min only this period channel will be active after that channel will be stopped again until the next job start.

Regards

praveen

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Damon,

Ya ,not an issue.

Jobs sending file to the bank and PI picks the files placed by the jobs.

If  my assumption is correct

Pi will pick the files placed by jobs then process them.

And will poll and wait for the other files to be placed by the job.

If my assumption is wrong you can refer Praveens comment - Job will hold and poll the channel