cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best possible choice for Dashboard development

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

I am looking for different possibilities for creating dashboards for executives in Health Care industry. Basically, at first you are shown some tiles/visualisations with some context data behind them and by pressing on those tiles or visuals you could either drill down or view a larger/more detailed table or some additional visualisations. It

I tried Lumira, which had great visualization capabilities but no Dashboard capability (+ the licencing issue). I also tried playing around with SAP Smart Business Executive Edition, but it seriously lacked in visualization possibilities and flexibility, not to mention only possible data source is HANA view AND the product is not developed and EOL is 30. Sept 2017.

Are there any other products or is it easier to expose the required data through an OData WebService and create your own visualisation app with UI5 and publish it to Fiori Launchpad? Or is there a Fiori App available for all kinds of dashboarding capabilities?

To sum up, what are the most cost effective, non-time consuming ways to develop and consume dashboards to view data from BW system?

PS: Let me know when you need more info on my use case and requirements.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

kammaje_cis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello and thanks for your reply!

Yes I discovered the Overview Page recently and it seems to be one good option.

Although, correct me if I am wrong, it seems to require a lot of custom development and configuring? Not just create an oData WS based on BEx query and map the response to appropriate chart type or something.

What do you think?

kammaje_cis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am exploring it but do not think it is lots of development.

- You need the OData from Bex

- There is No development for those cards. They are delivered by SAP

- You need to create annotation files which basically tell the cards which fields from your OData service to be mapped to which properties in the card.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, that sounds promising, but what about visualizations used in the card and can cards be developed so that pressing on them will open a more detailed view with some more visualization (kind of like drill-downs)?

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can navigate from a card to a more detailed view, routing is used for that.  I guess the definition of Dashboard is also important, do you only want to display information or should the users have the option of some actions such as approve, create, edit etc.  In general I feel the visualisations that you can create are quite good with SAPUI5 and if you need something more you can always extend the controls from SAP or combine them with an external library.  

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bjorn,

Can you elaborate a bit on the routing part? How is it done, what are the destinations for the navigation? Do you have any resources on this topic to share?

A dashboard I am envisioning has a purpose of an overview. Basically the issues at a glance, from where the dashboard consumer has the choice to explore further by opening a tile and navigating to an APF application or UI5 app or something else (depending on possible navigation destinations).

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

masa_139
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi German,

You can add Lumira tile on launchpad.

Other tool:

Regards,

Masa / SAP Technology RIG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi and thanks for the reply and info.

Regarding Lumira: Aren't there some sord of licencing restrictions? What I mean by that is, let's say I create a Lumira Story and add it as a Tile in the Launchpad. What users can access that Lumira Story? Or does it mean that after it is turned into a Tile then anyone can view and play around with the Lumira Story?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Masa,

In addition to my previous reply, I am yet to find a way to create anything close to a Dashboard (meaning, different visualizations (chart, tables, notes) on a single page from where I can go into more detail.

Note: The detailed view is a nice to have feature, but not a requirement. The main requirement is a rich Dashboard for the Executives or Managers to get a 360-like overview of main KPI-s.

former_member182874
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi German,

You can also try SBEE (SAP Smart Business, executive edition 1.0 1509 – SAP Help Portal Page)

Resource above link : SAP Smart Business, executive edition is an application for building enterprise dashboards. SAP Smart Business, executive edition makes it possible to put simple, beautiful dashboards in the hands of decision-makers at all levels, in all lines of business of an enterprise.

For dashboard users, SAP Smart Business, executive edition puts the power of SAP HANA extended application services at their fingertips, allowing analysis of big data at granular levels in real time.

Regards,
Tejas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Firstly, if you read my original post then you will find that I mentioned and played around with SBEE. Secondly, SBEE is not an option since SAP is not developing the app anymore and EOL is 30th September 2017.

But the main problem is it lacks in visualization flexibility and customization- very narrow choice of use cases.

former_member182874
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For flexibility, i will prefer custom UI5 app where you can use vizframe control and interactive chart mechanism to achieve similiar.

SAPUI5 Explored

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree, hopefully the client will too:)

Thanks for your input!

masa_139
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi German,

What is the data source? BW or BW on HANA ?

Regards,

Masa / SAP Technology RIG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Data source is BW, BEx queries, but the customer has HANA appliance also so ideally creating analytical or calculation views is also possible.

If I am not mistaken then they don't exactly have BW on HANA, but they use HANA for reporting on BW data.

Hope this helps:)