cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lsnrctl "listener supports no services" message

Former Member
0 Kudos

(i couldn't get my screenshots to show up - so see attached file for those)

==

Hi Folks –

I have a technical question regarding Oracle TNS config for an SAP system.  From time to time I see this problem and want to get a deeper understanding of how it works.

So for example below we had an NW70 system running on 11204 Oracle (same question here applies to any SAP on oracle).  We also had a HA cluster on unix involved – so 2 unix cluster node servers (g1u3055c/g2u2187c) and some remote sap application servers as well.

The DB was up/running on the g2u2187c node shown below.  Obviously in order for SAP to be able to start it has to connect properly to the DB level – and this is where the oracle TNS config comes into play.  So we check this w/ “R3trans –d” as <sid>adm user on the unix server where the DB was running.  In this case that was failing w/ an ora-12514 type of TNS error.

Next on the DB server (g2u2187c) I tried to see whether the listener was up/running by checking for an o/s level PID and found this

So next as ora<sid>user on same server I wanted to see the output of “lsnrctl status <listener name>” (here listener name was what I saw running at the o/s level – e.g. LISTENER_PRX) – and below is what that showed – NOTE that the msg “The listener supports no services” is shown!

>> to add – as <sid>adm here – I had checked its environmental variables to see whether TNS_ADMIN was set – and it was NOT – so in this case the SAP user <sid>adm was simply taking the TNS oracle config info from the oracle default location ($ORACLE_HOME/network/admin)

I know that “R3trans –d” for sidadm will never work unless the aforementioned “lsnrctl status….” command output shows a service for that SID.  So fixing that in these cases is clearly the next step.  And I am aware that the fix is some combination of checking the listener.ora, tnsnames.ora config and possibly restarting the oracle listener.

My question:  can anyone provide concrete steps technically that lead to the “listener supports no services” output shown above and how to fix? (like when this command is run, what is it doing behind the scenes exactly…….by knowing that, I’d know better what exactly to check/change in those TNS files)

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Ben,

As long as SID_LIST_LISTENER in listener.ora has no entry and no instance dynamically registered to the listener, you will see

"The listener supports no services”

Some database parameters are controlling dynamically registered:

service_names
local_listener

You can refer to SAP note

1915325  for the dynamic listening

What is your concern is?

Best regards,
James