cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agentry - storing a value passed into an action

former_member231132
Participant
0 Kudos

This should be easy to do although I can't seem to find the right means to do it. I want to take the value passed into an action and store it in a property of MainObject. I should be able to do this in an action step that uses a transaction, however in the property of the transaction (which targets the MainObject property in which I want to store this value) I can't find a way to get the value passed into the parent action which is calling the transaction.

Thanks

Tim

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you checked to see if the value is getting saved into the main object (by using the ATE)?
Do you have an apply after the transaction while still in action to save the value?

How are you referring to the object in the parent action, within a rule, or within a different transaction?

If it is a transction are you trying to save the value to a field?  Did you have the property set to get the value from a different property and point it to the main object field? 

former_member231132
Participant
0 Kudos

The value is being passed into the action through the 'single click action' option of a list tile view. In the action I have a transaction step that targets the MainObject property in which I want to save the value.  I'm trying to use the transaction property's Initial Value to access the value passed into the parent action. My problem is I can't find a way to do this.  When I try to use 'Rule before data entry' or 'Rule after data entry' in the transaction property I can't find a way to access the parent action's value.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The Single Click Action isn't used for one field, more for passing an object.

What you can do in in your rule point to the Screenset that the List view is on, and select the field and use "Use selected object"

former_member231132
Participant
0 Kudos

I've tried using selected object in the rule but it didn't seem to work.  It appears that if you use the 'single click action' on the list tile view then it doesn't actually select a row.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try this:
On the action that is called, have a transaction for the same object you are using.  In this transaction have a new (not part of the object) and set the property object in your main object temp field.  Then have the value get set by a different property and point it to your object field that you want to save.  Then apply after the transaction.

former_member231132
Participant
0 Kudos

I tried a slight variation of your suggestion.  Instead of saving the value passed into the action in mainobject, I saved it in a new property of the object that was passed into the action.  This worked well enough since it was accessible to me later when I needed it to use it in a validation rule.  Thanks Stephen!

sudhiranjan_lenka
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

It's always good practice to create temporary fields in the Main object because the performance point of view the memory optimization is always important in the handheld devices.

Just wanted to share my experience.

Thanks,

Sudhir.

former_member231132
Participant
0 Kudos

Sudhir,

Creating the temp variable in mainobject was my original intent, but I couldn't find a way to save the value passed into the action in mainobject.  Since the value passed into the action was the object that was selected in my list tile view, it seems like that's the only object available to me for update in any transaction step in that action.  If you can tell me a way to update mainobject I'd like to know.

Thanks

sudhiranjan_lenka
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

You can have a new property in your Transaction and bind that property to the temp field in the Main object. Then set the value from the rule or from a different object property as per your requirement.

PFA...

BR

Sudhir.

former_member231132
Participant
0 Kudos

Sudhir,

That worked well, thanks!  I was under the incorrect impression that the properties of the transaction had to be within the same object that was passed into the transaction.  I appreciate your help.

Answers (0)