Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding custom language file to standard Fiori app

omakinen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all!

I'd like to ask how to make use of a custom translation file for a standard Fiori app. It's the Inbox app, if that's relevant.

I can download the UI code using /UI5/UI5_REPOSITORY_LOAD, create a new language file to i18n folder for the specified language, but then:

- Do I need upload the whole folder back to system or could I upload just the new file?

- If I upload the whole app, can I use the same name or should I do a custom version?

- I hope I don't need to do an extension just for the new language file?

Something else?

Thanks again!

br,

Ossi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

omakinen
Participant
0 Kudos

Bumping this. Anyone have any tips on the matter?

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Any thoughts on how they can do this?

Thanks, Mike

SAP Technology RIG

masa_139
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Ossi,

Please share your test result.

Regards,

Masa / SAP Technology RIG

omakinen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Masa!

I don't really have any test results since I'm still wondering how could I...

a) upload a new translation file to the standard My Inbox app's i18n folder

Problem: how to deploy the new file to the standard app?

- Do I need upload the whole app folder back to system or can I upload just the new file? How?

- If I must upload the whole app, can I use the original name or should I do a custom version?

- I hope I don't need to do an extension just for the new language file?

b) Translate in SE63 using the GUID taken from the original messageBundle.properties file.

I found the GUID of the My Inbox app in the original i18n file:

# My Inbox

# __ldi.translation.uuid=84a30900-44a4-11e4-916c-0800200c9a66

Problem: I can't find the source texts in our Gateway's SE63 -> ABAP Objects -> Short Texts -> SAPUI5 Texts. The texts of "My Inbox" app are simply not there with that GUID, I even checked every entry one by one.

So, I guess I'm still stuck at the starting line

br,

Ossi

RameshShrestha
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ossi,

I talked to some colleagues, it is bit surprising that standard fiori application should have the file for transaction so you can get into touch with  SAP OSS message.

Else you can just download the application then add the i18n file for your required language then upload again.This is feasible only if you have to translate for few languages.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/309d2011-6579-3110-79b2-ec3259661...

For your queries,

I feel you have to upload whole folder  for consistency.

I am not in ABAP much, will it be possible or reasonable to add the i18n file in the BSP application package ? Not much sure on this.

You can see the package in SE80.

Main problem I see on doing these things is that It is standard fiori application, in case of update of application, it might be lost.

With Regards,

Ramesh Shrestha

omakinen
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for tips Ramesh. I may need to raise an OSS message about the missing translation entries, if we want to pursue the SE63 method.

Somehow I still would prefer the new i18n file for my language So, I wonder if this solution is worth a try.

-> will it be possible or reasonable to add the i18n file in the BSP application package?

Has anyone tried this?

The only downside is that one would have to keep up with new standard texts if new text elements are added, but it's the same with any translation solutions, as long as SAP doesn't offer the language as part of standard.

br,

Ossi

omakinen
Participant
0 Kudos

Ok, I solved the issue by modifying the My Inbox app in SE80 directly. I copied the English text as a template for the Finnish version, translated the texts and then simply saved & activated the new file.

The Fiori app picked up the translation automatically, after clearing some caches.

Downside is that this is a modification but not a big one, since it's only one added text file. If SAP replaces it one day with an official translation, no problem. Or if there comes a note that adds completely new text elements, then we have to update our translation too.

br,

Ossi

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

In case someone is facing the same problem with a standard app containing __ldi.translation.uuid instead of a translation key in the i18n.properties file, I found some solution:

How-to: translations for extension of standard app

RameshShrestha
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ossi,

If it is standard fiori application then there should be some GUID id in the i18n file.

If it is there then you can take care from ECC System itself without touching the application.

All internationalizations will be taken care by that id in the ECC System rather than manually adding extra files.

Please refer below link. That might be of your use.

Also , I kind of agree that extension is for coding parts rather than internationalization file.

Not sure but you can try adding new file in that way as well.

With Regards,

Ramesh Shrestha

omakinen
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tips Ramesh!

I found the GUID of the My Inbox app in the original i18n file:

# My Inbox

# __ldi.translation.uuid=84a30900-44a4-11e4-916c-0800200c9a66

...but I can't find the source texts in our Gateway's SE63 (or backend). The texts of "My Inbox" app are simply not there, I checked every entry one by one. Do I need to generate something? I can see that the table /UI5/TREP_FILES doesn't have the My Inbox app even listed although it is now installed in our system.

Or alternatively, how to deploy a new i18n file for my language instead? My questions in the first post still stand

Thanks & br,

Ossi

RameshShrestha
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ossi,

I am not sure for now, because normally it use to be.

I will let you know in case I find out.

With Regards,

Ramesh Shrestha