cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select multiple objects on a datawindow

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I'm developing a custom DW, where the user can add columns and texts to it, as well as change size, formatting, position, etc for each object. This part is working.

I already know there isn't an easy way (except if I code it manually) to have a "snap to grid" behavior, but most importantly: is there a way that the user can select multiple objects, ie, holding ctrl and clicking, so that I can add alignment functions to the object? Align selected objets to the left, or center, etc, like when we're developing a dw on the dw painter.

Thanks again,

Daniel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel;

The DWO allows you to select multiple rows - but, not objects. You would have to develop a totally customized solution for this - like Buck Wolley did (Mr Extreme DW) in some of his implementations -  Extreme Datawindows - Main

Not for to "faint of heart" coding wise. 

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ouch!!!! lol

Thanks Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Looking a the GNE Demo at Extreme Datawindows - Main, as you said, one way to do it would be:

when the user clicks and holds an empty area of the DW, I start drawing a square. As the user encases objects with the square (some calculation needed), I do something to the objects (like change the back color or something, to make it appear selected). That way I'll have some "selected" objects that I can align or do whatever I want.

An easier way, not so cool, would be having a "selection" check box. When the user checks it, and click on objects on the dw, I change the back color, but a different border or whatever.... or even better, without the check box, when he clicks while pressing the ctrl key....

HTH too.

Former Member
0 Kudos

FWIW: That is why 99% on my Canadian Government clients just give the business users InfoMaker. You can let the users build their own reports (which are really a DW object) and then import the DWO source back into your PB applications as required. The opposite is also true ... you can build a basic DWO in PB and then send it to IM (because it uses PBL's) and then just let them use the Report Painter in IM ( really the DW Painter in disguise) to tweak the design as you are now back into pure drag & drop design WYSIG interface. Once the DW is tweaked, you can bring it back to PB if you still need the DWO in your applications. 

Much easier and cheaper than writing your own internal application based DW Painter too IMHO. PB & IM have a nice symbiotic relationship for doing these type of things out-of-the-box.  

Just my $0.02.

Answers (0)