Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Mobile App - Front End Technology

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We're currently assessing the technology to be used for a custom mobile application. I call this a custom because there's a possibility to add a chatting, video uploading, and some other custom feature.

I've found out that we could use SAP Netweaver Gateway to expose SAP functionality as REST web services. Now, we wonder what front end technology should be used? Could we go with SAP UI5 (the technology which Fiori uses), or should we choose a different technology (hybrid/native mobile platform) to fulfill the custom requirement?

Thank you & regards,

Suwandi C.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member190010
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suwandi,

Definitely, there is a wide range of technolgies you are able to use when developing an application that will be used to consume Web Services exposed by the SAP Netweaver Gateway.

First of all, let's speak about the backend technology.

I supposed you are going to use Web Services exposed by the SAP Netweaver gateway, that will collect the data from an ABAP system (ECC, CRM, etc).

There are two possible deployments landscapes two install the SAP Netweaver Gateway. Please read this blog:

Regarding the development of the web services, please read this other blog: http://scn.sap.com/community/gateway/blog/2014/03/06/let-s-code-crudq-and-function-import-operations...

Now, let's go right to the point of your question.

You can choose basically between three possible approaches to develop an application that will

consume oData Services:

- Native

- Hybrid

- Web

- If you go Native, the code is developed in java for Android, and in Swift/Objective C for iOs.

You can use the Native Libraries that comes with the SAP Mobile Platform SDK. This SDK provides you with different libraries that help you Login to the SMP, use the push functionality, consume oData services, data encryption, etc.

See:

- On the other hand, you can choose to build an hybrid appilciation.

An hybrid application is an application based on the Cordova container.

This kind of applications are built based on HTML + javascript code and the use of some plugins that makes available the use of some native functionality of the device.

You can use the plugins that SAP provides in its sdk called Kapsel plugins that help you as in the native case for: Login to the SMP, use the push functionality, consume oData services, data encryption, etc.

See:

I want to add that in the case you decide to build an hybrid application, you can choose to code it using the sapui5 framework. This is the html+js framework which is used to build all the fiori applications and the standard sap way to develop mobile apps.

- There is also a third possible approach that is to create a web application that consumes odata web services, and then deploy it in the one of the different options that SAP provides:

* SAPUI5 ABAP repository

* HCP

* SAP Fiori Launchpad

In this case, as it is a web application you are also available too use the saui5 framework (html+js).

How to deploy an app in the SAP Fiori Launchpad:

Read: http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-56166

How to deploy an app in the HCP:

http://scn.sap.com/community/developer-center/front-end/blog/2015/07/27/creating-and-deploying-sap-f...

How to deploy an app in the SAPUI5 Abap Repository:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-42820

Hope this helps to clarify the scene.

Regards,

Emanuel

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Emanuel,

Thank you for the detail explanation, really appreciate it.

Based on your reply, my understanding is that whatever front end technology that I use, I would still need the SMP SDK for the login, data encryption, consuming oData functionality, etc..  and I need to use oData protocol.

Some additional questions are:

- AFAIK SAP Netweaver Gateway is free of charge (no additional cost is needed), Based on this link:

Seems like the SMP SDK is available with additional cost, am I correct? If I choose to develop the mobile app without using the SMP SDK, is it still possible? But not recommended?

From what I thought, if I chose not to use SMP SDK, then I'm left with the option to use the basic web service functionality without single user login (I assume the SMP login means user could login using their SAP ECC credential through the mobile app), I have to use a third party oData client library to consume SAP Netweaver Gateway oData web service and I have to implement SSH for data encryption at the Netweaver Gateway.

- Is the available protocol for the Netweaver Gateway web service is oData? Is the plain REST (without oData) available?

Thank you & regards,

Suwandi C.

former_member190010
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suwandi,

1) You are right!

If you don't use the SAP Mobile Platform SDK, you have to use the endpoints available in the SMP Mobile Platform to registrate in SMP, to registrate for PUSH, etc. I am going to write a post about that on these days so keep aware on the scn news.

You are also correct that if you don't use the SMP sdk, you will have to use a third party oData library. The same for the data encryption.

2) Regarding the license cost of the SAP Netweaver Gateway, I am not aware about that. You should contact a sales representative.

3) Lastly, the aim of the SAP Netweaver gateway is to expose web services using the OData protocol, that is the recommended way to expose the backend data.

If you want to read more about the SAP Netweaver Gateway, don't hesitate to check the next link:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-35472

Please close the thread if you think the question is answered.

Best Regards,

Emanuel

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Emanuel,

Alright, thank you for the explanation.

Regards,

Suwandi C.

Answers (0)