cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quality Inspection Samples to external testing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am in a Pharmaceutical environment and using QM with Inspection Lots. 

I have a requirement to ship samples of a product that has been semi finished by an external supplier against a Purchase Order then send it for testing to a specific external company, I would like to do this with out releasing the stock to allow the shipment.  When the testing is complete the inspection lot can be released and then the samples consumed.

My Ideal solution would be that when the inspection lot is created we can assign the ship to party and then ship the goods using SD delivery functionality and therefore confirm the goods issue so we have a record it has been shipped

I do not want to release the goods to allow shipment and I need to show the total goods receipt to pay the supplier against his invoice.

Has anyone tried or had to do something like this before?  I can t believe that SAP needs a work around to manage this

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

busyaban7
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Langridge,

Before we suggests our thoughts, we would like to know your BPML process in a bit more details. Please can you answer to the below questions -

1. Are your using an operation in routing for production order with external purchase control key, thus PurReq is getting created at the release of this Order. Then you are converting this PurReq to PurOrd and then doing Goods Issue to the PurOrd. Then doing GR and creating inspection Lot 0130, against this GR. Once this material is received, this material is consumed in the subsequent operations to create the Finished Goods.

i) If so, are you issuing only semi-finished material against your PurOrd to Vendor or you are issuing Semi-finished material along with some additional components?

ii) Is the Semi-finished material issued to the PurOrd and the material received from the vendor sub-contractor are having same material numbers or different material numbers?

iii) Are you willing to send GR sample for testing or you wish to send all the semi-finished material form sub-contractor to 3rd party and then receive the material form 3rd party?

For the explained above scenario what is the issue in implementing it? Have your MM team done fit-gap workshop and got it clarified?

2. SD Delivery Functionality - I didn't got this process clearly. Please can you explain it in a bit more details. At what stage you are expecting the materials to received and what is the inspection process you are thinking about?

Thanks for your inputs!

Thanks,

Arijit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arijit

Thanks for your response.

The process is before we go to raising the Production order for the finished goods with the semi finished that we receive from purchase order.

1. We raise a Purchase Order from an external vendor for 100, based on the requirement from manufacturing to use the Semi Finished.
  2. The PO is goods receipted into the plant on the goods receipt 100 receipted into QI stock an inspection lot is created for 5.
  3. We need to send the 5 samples to a 3rd party for testing.

Currently we cannot ship without releasing by QA which is against regulations as the product is not released and it hasnt been tested this delays the shipment to the labs for testing.  I am looking for an option hopfully in QM that we can use to ship from restricted to the test Labs

Thanks

liz

busyaban7
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Liz,

In SAP there is a functionality for creating inspection called 'Source Inspection'. I think you can explore the functionalities for it to check if this is suitable for your case. Below are some features on how it works -

a) Add inspection type 0101 to your material master QM-view. If you are already using inspection type 01, you can set the flag "PreferredIns Typ" indicator for it.

b) Create a quality Info Record in QI01 for your material & sub-contracting vendor combination. Use the inspection type 0101.

c) In QM Control Key configuration setup for GR/Source inspection control, you can select either of the below options as appropriate for your business:

L - Create new inspection lot

X - Goods Receipt not allowed

- Source inspection lot has no effect on the goods receipt

For example: If the results for Source inspection is "reject', then no further GR should be possible, then you can select "X".

d) Create PurOrd for the material & Sub-contracting vendor combination.

e) Use QI07 to create Source Inspection lots, for the available PurOrd, and you will be able to create it before you are physically receiving Goods.

f) Once this lot is created, you can take printouts for the inspection lot/samples and send it to the Sub-contractor via email, so that they can resend the samples to your 3rd party for testing quality results. And by the time, the semi-finished goods comes to your plant back, you can deal with the 3rd party, to send you the results over email/IDOC. Now based on these results, you can decide further what you wish to do,

There are many discussion threads for this concept in SCN. You can find a few more for your inputs -

https://scn.sap.com/thread/1196249

https://scn.sap.com/thread/980495

https://scn.sap.com/thread/2036459

Thanks,

Arijit

0 Kudos

Hi Langridge,

Arijit suggestion is most relevant one to handle your scenario in SAP. But your requirement to ship the sample qty. from Quality Inspection stock to vendor will be a concern.

My suggestion will be

You change your business process to do the goods receipt of the same material in two separate line items; (Sample qty in one line item; Remaining qty. in separate line item)

In this case, two inspection lots will be generated; You can clear Inspection Lot of the sample qty to send to vendor for external testing.Till you get the inspection result of the sample, You can keep the other lot open.

I hope, this will meet your requirement.

Regards,

Alwar B