cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sap SQL runtime license restrictions with mssql2012

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

I would like to know if with my SAP license fee i can install my sap solution on VMware architecture with HA on VMotion actived.

I know i have a runtime SQL license sold by SAP but i want to be sure if there is a restriction license if i have a virtuel architecture.

If you have a answer or a officiel SAP documentation it was very nice !

Thanks by advance

Regards

Mike

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

luisdarui
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

In addition to the information provided by Yuksel and Sunil, please read on detail the SAP Note 2139358. There is explained additional restrictions on SQL Server licensing through SAP.

Kind regards,

Luis Darui

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

We have used the SAP systems running on SQL Server 2012 Enterprise edition installed on a Virtual Machine and used the VMotion for HA and did not need any additional SAP license for it. The Standard run time license should work

Such license restrictions might be applicable for Software features, when it comes to HA(VMotion, cluster, etc..) and DR(Storage Replication..) based on the infrastructure do not think SAP restricts the usage of this using license

For example we also use Disaster recovery using Boot from SAN OS for SQL Server 2012 supporting SAP and Storage replication, I have never seen any requirement to get any additional license for SAP for this

Hope this helps

Sunil

yakcinar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Mike,

Below note says that SQL Server Licence bouhgt from SAP iscalled as Run-time Licese.

And says that "Microsoft SQL Server Enterprise Edition is required for all SAP Business Suite / NetWeaver applications."

So run-time license is Enterprise Edition License for SQL Server.

1491158 - Information about the Microsoft SQL Server license scope

And there are links for Enterprise edition features.

As I understood from the note you can install HA system with this run-time license.

Also many customer are using virtual environments. There is no restriction for that.

Regards,

Yuksel AKCINAR