Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

/dev/root file system full

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello.

We can't to login to system by telnet, ftp,rlogin, console, because recieved:

<b> messages msgcnt 142 vxfs: mesg 001: vx_nospace - /dev/root file system full (1 block extent) </b>

Instance's of Oracle and SAP are working and we are afraid to reboot server.

We working on HP-UX

is there any solution for this problem?

regards

Denis

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Denis

why dont you try to extend your /dev/root File system?

if your files system is already 1005 full and 0 bits space left, then try to move some files to other location where space available and try to extend your files system, that will resolve your space issue.

But one thing I can tell you is there is no harm in deleting core file from /usr/sap/<SID>/<DEVMBG00>/work.

-- Murali.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you system is not really at rick, do as Juan said, repair ROOT filesystem and try to start your DB. Oracle is rock solid and will re-open with most errors, including disk full errors.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The only way is booting in single user mode (you must force a poweroff, then interrupt the reboot and bring it into single user mode). When you're with root, then look for any "core" and "a.out" file just occupying more space in your root file system.by issuing:

"find / -name core -print"

"find / -name a.out -print"

remove those files.

purge rc.log and shutdown.log file if required.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

JC Llanes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi JC Llanes,

Thanks for reply.

But what will be happened with data of Oracle, SAP???

I am afraid It will be lost.

Regards

Denis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Denis,

You must not be afraid with Sap, and at the Oracle side, well, I just can tell you "trust in oracle recovery capabilities".

It's not a fully safe solution, but if you can't logon not even from Console, I don't know what else can you do.... just imagine that's a "system crash": you could recover from this easily at a robust system like HP-UX.

Best Regards,

JC Llanes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi JC Llanes,

I haven't backup's .

regards

Denis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Denis,

It's a bad idea not having a backup! You can find yourself forced to try: not-running system, or risk losing data forcing reboot...

(But Oracle can restore data from online+offline redologs from disk).

Regards,

JC Llanes.

Message was edited by:

Juan Carlos Llanes