cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ChaRm Multilevel Categorization

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts:

I am having an issue with the "category" aspect of change tickets.

From past experience and research, I was able to configure a Development SolMan system, I added a managed system to it as well in an effort to configure ChaRm as a single managed system. I was able to have it working currently, as a proof of concept.

But, a major issues is categorization. It doesn't seem to be working, it is grayed out:

Could someone help me with a step-by-step guide to having this work?

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Paul:

I've used the second link previously to help me in creating a copy of the schema.

So, here is my question to follow:

when I search the current schemas in play, I see the following:

In our dev environment, I made a copy of SAP_SOLUTION_MANAGER_TEMPLATE

And, at this point, I changed all the application area values to precede with a "Z" and activated.(Is this the right protocol??)

As an example, In urgent change tickets, I know can see Category fields are active.

My question is, how can I further customize those fields to display what I like? It doesn't seem to be very "clean"... And, what is the implication of activating this from a business stand point? Can I easily reverse back?

Thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Uzair,

First, yes assigning your Z transaction types for the application areas assigned to your Z Category Schema is correct and appears to be now working since your values are now showing up.

You can customize the fields any way you want/need to. You have up to 4 hierarchical levels to work with but always remember that lower values are dependent on the value above (Level 2 is dependent on Level 1, Level 3 on 2 and 4 on 3). Actually its not real clean and can be a bit of a pain to maintain if you decide to use a lot of different values at the different levels.

We decided to have one simple schema for Service Requests/Incidents with just 1 level defined and then a second schema for Problems/Requests for Change/Change Documents with 3 levels defined (Type = level 1, Priority = level 2 and Business Area = level 3 - see picture).

As to the business implication, when you activate a new version, it has a start/end effective date, as do the previous versions. Messages create date dictate, I believe, which schema version is used. Thus, if you implement a new version, any new messages using that schema will use the new version but any older messages prior to the activation date will still use the prior version. This actually works pretty well since you have complete control over the versions, what they contain and when they are effective.

Note there is also a SAP utility program : CATEGOTOOL transaction, that will allow you to download/upload your category schema which may come in real handy for migration or the creation of a copy of a schema.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or issues.

Kindest regards

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Very thorough and thought out response.

Thank you, sir.

Answers (0)