Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance issues with projection

shyam_uthaman
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have a graphical calculation view which has a projection in it.

The projection has a calculation view inside of it that is also graphical.

This sub view is made of tables and joins to scripted views. This sub view executes in 3 seconds.

But when it is put inside  a projection, the view executes in 17 seconds.

What could be the issue here. I am working on a SP10 system.

Regards,

Shyam

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

SergioG_TX
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Shyam,

many things can be the issue... does your subview return only a structure with a lot of records? it will depend what happens afterwards with the resultset of the subviwew, for example if you do a join and you do substring on the resultset of your subview, then the view materializes into doing the substring operation for each of the results on the subview.

things to consider in your subview which you may already have... add filters so you return the smallest number of records. then depending on the output.. what else do you do on your parent view... just to see how else it can be optimized.

what is the size of your system will also have to do with how long it takes to run.

if you run a plan visualizer on the parent view you will see how step by step is takes on executing the various nodes. for plan visualizer, run the view on your sql console, highlight it, right click and then visualize plan. hope this helps

I know this is not a straight up solution but at least something to think about.

shyam_uthaman
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sergio,

The projection I am using has no logic. No substrings or any other calculations. I had some filters to be put at this projection for the calc view but the filters make the timing worse. I don't understand how something that runs in 2 seconds executes in 17 seconds in a plain projection.17 seconds is the execution time for 200 records at the node level data display.

SergioG_TX
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

were you able to run the plan visualizer? that will be helpful to troubleshoot your sore spots and focus on those in order to optimize your view

shyam_uthaman
Participant
0 Kudos

I always get lost with that thing. Maybe I never really understood how to use it properly.

I'll try again

SergioG_TX
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

it is very confusing and also at some point you will need to use it just to provide SAP instructions as to where the error is.. however, if you can see the node that is causing the issue maybe you can focus on it and try to optimize it...  I even got a response from a moderator once that the plan visualizer is for advanced users after some point... it gets so deep that a normal developer wouldn't understand.. trust me .. its a headache good luck